Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 13-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

NCE Handset and Cobalt Point Motor, use the handset to give the Cobalt a accessory number, i do this on a separate piece of track not attached to the layout, install the Cobalt in your layout connect the Cobalt to the DCC Bus (2 wires), use the "Select Accy" button on the handset, enter the number you gave the Cobalt, you will get a option in the handset window to alter the Cobalt press 1 or 2 depending how the points are set, the point will move, job done, no switches, long wires ect..... it can't get any simpler than this...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #22
Seaside Station Master

Seaside Station Master is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
NCE Handset and Cobalt Point Motor, use the handset to give the Cobalt a accessory number, i do this on a separate piece of track not attached to the layout, install the Cobalt in your layout connect the Cobalt to the DCC Bus (2 wires), use the "Select Accy" button on the handset, enter the number you gave the Cobalt, you will get a option in the handset window to alter the Cobalt press 1 or 2 depending how the points are set, the point will move, job done, no switches, long wires ect..... it can't get any simpler than this...
Seems simple how many can you add in this manor?
Seaside Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #23
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Easiest way is to get one of those R965 controllers and transformer that comes with an old train set off ebay. It has a 16 vac output which you connect to the point motor via R044 momentary contact switch.
Old 13-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

I have about 60, but i do use switches but there all controllable via the handset as well,
Old 14-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #25
Rawners

Rawners is on a distinguished road

I added a couple of Cobalt Alpha Central panels to control my Cobalt IP Digital point motors. Now I just use the Procabs for controlling the Lococomotives.
Rawners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #26
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

How easy it is to control points with DCC depends on your controller. I believe the NCE Powercab is one of the better ones. I have tried using decoders with my Lenz 100 system and it is a complete mare with all the tedious button pressing to switch from loco control to accessories that I went back to stud and probe.

The simplest of all control of course is the Mk. 1 finger

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #27
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Richard and Op, the Cobalt has 9 connectors, pins 1 & 2 connect to the DCC bus, Pin can be used for the Frog i use it to switch between 2 LED's on a control panel, Pins 4,5 and 6 are switch connector it swaps with the movement of the points, i use it for the Frog, Pins 7,8 and 9 a for a toggle switch to control the point movement, i give all my PM's a Accessory number the handset can also control the points. the newer surface mounted point motor has a extra 3 pins for a switch plus some other bits, worth reading about.

Surface mounted working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4fCNIf1aI

Last edited by Tinker; 14-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 14-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #28
jrsaito

jrsaito is on a distinguished road

Just getting "back into" railways having been involved with RC aircraft for last 30 years! Have got an NCE powercab and it seems to me that using Cobalt ip Digital point motors will be the simplest system as I'm starting from scratch.
I plan to use JRMI computer software as a next step to control the points on the system.

Last edited by jrsaito; 14-09-2018 at 02:29 PM.
jrsaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #29
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I’m amazed at what passes as a definition of ‘simple’ these days.
Old 14-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #30
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
How easy it is to control points with DCC depends on your controller. I believe the NCE Powercab is one of the better ones. I have tried using decoders with my Lenz 100 system and it is a complete mare with all the tedious button pressing to switch from loco control to accessories that I went back to stud and probe.

The simplest of all control of course is the Mk. 1 finger

Richard
If you used the Lenz Compact as a slave controller it is quite straightforward. The Lenz 100 system does more then most of us will ever use, but to do this means that it gets more complicated, and that is a system that in its day was said to be one of the easiest to use. Once ones learnt how to do what one needs to do on it (Which for most will be scratching the surface of its capabilities) then it does get easier. The difficulties are that if one doesn't use it for a long period of time, by the time one needs to use it one may have forgotten how and its back to studying the book of instructions.
I have a set 01 (The one that has the booster and command station in seperate metal boxes) with the LH100 hand controller, two LH90 handsets a Lenz Compact and a seperate Lenz 5A booster so I have a choice of using what I have on two seperate layouts with the Compact as a command station and can use the 3 amp booster from the set 01 to form 5.5 amps or two zones of 2.5 and 3amps.... I can then use the set 01 with the 5 amp booster with the two LH90's.... Or I can use the Compact as a slave so I get one 3 amp and one 5 amp districts, or I can have it like this in series to push out 8 amps.
As a universal do anything fully expandable system it is impressive and is something one tends to take for granted until one hears the limitations of other systems.
As Lenz is compatible with Roco, one can always use Roco handsets as long as they have similar version numbers. They are supposed to have forward as backward compatibility, but how far that goes after over 15 years of progress maybe something that needs checking.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote