Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 12-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Yep that's the kind of thing I'm thinking about, shouldn't be too difficult. If I manage to fix it, will post some pictures. I've now figured how it all goes back together which is something! I've also realised the silver springs I first mentioned are only there to centre the coupling so not sure I even need them?

The installed pickups are a nightmare to replace with alternative as they are spring loaded metal tubes that go through a hole in the metal chassis. The issue here is that the metal chassis acts as the conduction for the opposite rail! I don't want any chance of a short as I'm going to convert to DCC when I have it going, and I've blown up my share of decoders for this year already

I tested the motor on it's own this morning and that works fine after giving the armature a good clean so I'm feeling quite hopeful.

If anyone DOES have one of those little sprung pickups in their spares box I'd be more than grateful to take it off your hands for a fair renumeration
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Hi TWD

Have a word with Brian - he will probably send you another one. You can then reassemble the non-runner and send it to me for display in my cabinet.
You see, I'm full of good ideas!!

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
I'm thinking I could make one, have some spare phosphur bronze strip.
Hello TDD remember you telling us about the Airfix 14xx pick-up problems.
You were not kidding.
Have just bought an Airfix Royal Scot which had problems with pick-ups and and Airfix certainly have a odd way of assembling locos. Glad you got yours sorted out wish me luck with my one. LOL.
Going to take out the old pick-ups and make new F/bronze fixed to bottom plate. Only bought it because it looked nice and it was cheap.
John
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Hello John, I certainly do wish you luck though I'm not familiar with the Royal Scot.

I did get mine back together and working eventually as reported in a different thread on here. I bought another autocoach last weekend off eBay and thinking of coupling it up to that.
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
jrsaito

jrsaito is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Did you ever get DCC successfully fitted to your Airfix 0-4-2?
jrsaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsaito View Post
Hi,
The Airfix 14xx was designed to work with their own Multiple Train Control system which was an early attempt at what became DCC.
1. Take the body off and remove the motor.
2. The lower brush holder has a long metal prong which makes contact with a metal strip on the inside of the base plate. Remove both brush holders and fit the lower one to the top of the motor. (When you resemble the model you will find the metal prong fits neatly inside the dome)
3. Solder a wire to the metal strip on the base plate (may need further dismantling)
4. Solder a to the other (originally top) brush holder and fit that to the bottom of the motor.
5.Reassemble leaving off the metal contact that originally fitted between the top brush holder and the metal chassis.
6. Check the wires you have solder are isolated from each other and from the metal chassis.
7. Connect the pick up wires of a decoder to the wire from the base plate and a suitable location on the metal chassis.
8. Connect the motor wires of the decoder to the wire from the brush holder that is in the bottom of the motor, and directly to the brush holder that is in the top of the motor.
9. Test on a programming track.

Last edited by Mike Parkes; 14-09-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #17
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

What a great description Mike.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #18
jrsaito

jrsaito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parkes View Post
The Airfix 14xx was designed to work with their own Multiple Train Control system which was an early attempt at what became DCC.
1. Take the body off and remove the motor.
2. The lower brush holder has a long metal prong on which make contact with a metal strip on the inside of the base plate. Remove both brush holders and fit the lower one to the top of the motor.
3. Solder a wire to the metal strip on the base plate (may need further dismantling)
4. Solder a to the other (originally top) brush holder and fit that to the bottom of the motor.
5.Reassemble leaving off the metal contact that originally fitted between the top brush holder and the metal chassis.
6. Check the wires you have solder are isolated from each other and from the metal chassis.
7. Connect the pick up wires of a decoder to the wire from the base plate and a suitable location on the metal chassis.
8. Connect the motor wires of the decoder to the wire from the brush holder that is in the bottom of the motor, and directly to the brush holder that is in the top of the motor.
9. Test on a programming track.
Mike,
Thank you for the very fast and helpful info. I will have a go in due course once current layout design and baseboard construction phase is finished.
jrsaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #19
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Just make sure the 14xx works okay - the two weaknesses with the Airfix chassis are the plunger pick ups failing due to the motor drawing more current than the springs in the plungers can cope with and the plastic gear wheel getting stripped by the brass worm. Mine suffered initially from the pick up issue and I discovered the way of adopting the motor not to wire a decoder in but to power the motor from pick up wheels fitted to the autotrailer.
You can obviously wire the decoder direct to the metal strip in the chassis and both brush holders without any separate wires involved but I always find it useful on more awkward hard wiring jobs to use wires to the hidden parts so I can check for any shorts once reassembled.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsaito View Post
Hi,
Blimey, my thread but over three years old! As I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast this morning and I haven't run any thing on my layout for many months I had to check my written records. Yes I did get it fixed and converted to DCC. Mine is permanently coupled to an autocoach and without looking I suspect I took pickups from there.