Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 20-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

I think you would find it cheaper if you bought another newer version of the pannier. Example I good example sold only last night on the bay for about 12.
When I saw what it sold for I regretted not putting a bid on it myself. Only trouble was I already had that cab number so it would have meant another renumbering job.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
AndyGWR

AndyGWR is on a distinguished road

Hi Footplate,

Thanks again for your interest and advice.

I don't have a layout yet but I'd probably stick to Code 100 track anyway when I do as I enjoy the modelling aspect of rejuvenating the primitive old Hornby/Triang stock into something reasonably authentic (turning a pig's ear into a silk purse/putting lipstick on a gorilla etc...).

I didn't want finer wheels for the purpose of being able to run code 75 as such, it was more the jarring look of the thickness of the wheels looking like the rear wheels of a dragster! :-)

Of course you are right it would be so much easier to buy a secondhand Bachmann 8750 Pannier for 50, but again these are my childhood models and I'm enjoying the modelling. Equally I shall turn my attention to the 1970's Great Western branded MK1 coaches as well as my old triang wagons in the same vein.

One of your earlier replies re the R041 pannier has given me an idea: One of my comments was about how it looks so wrong that the middle wheel has no flange. If I can't fit finer wheels, could I buy a secondhand chassis and replace the middle wheel with an outer one with a flange?
AndyGWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is to the design that I am thinking of, the centre wheels are the ones that carry the screws to hold the con rods on, and the outer ones do not. However, on some Hornby wheels it maybe possible to remove tyres separately. You may need to apply a little heat to assist in removal but make sure it is a separate tyre and that the centre ones share the same design. I am not sure if it will work and if it is made like this.
There is something else to consider on earlier Triang/Hornby designs which may share the same chassis castings as later versions. Sometimes the very central wheels were smaller and the axle holes for these were drilled in a slightly raised position. I only heard this when I read a post on a forum about someone who had issues when he put scale wheels on a different Triang loco that was an 0-6-0.
There is a lady on on of these sites who specializes in Triang and knows what works with what. Can't remember user name. Sarah rings a bell but it could be Suzie. Can't remember who was who!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
platelayer

platelayer is on a distinguished road

I think the name you are looking for on the forum is "Sarahagain".
Old 22-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah. That's the lady. Thanks. She is the one who would know.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #16
shildonboy

shildonboy is on a distinguished road

I have replaced the wheels on some of my older trian locos with wheels from Markits (Romfords).

They make an axle that is the same diameter as the Triang axle, the wheels are tapped to the same screw size as the triang wheels and they have a gear and worm that will replace the Triang ones. It is a bit expensive but when you have a couple of locos you want to keep for sentimental reasons then it is worth it.

I have alos turned down the triang wheels in a drill using a file, I just redid my Dock Authority and it now runs through Peco code 100 points without problems. I reduced the flange depth, the back of the wheel and also the front of the wheel. You have to remove the insulated wheel from the axle, remove the insulation bush and then fit a small bolt into the hole and lock it in place with a nut. The axle or bolt is then gripped in the drill so that you can file it down. Took less than 30 minutes to turn all 4 wheels and re-install
shildonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #17
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Rewheeling Triang/Hornby locos was once common.

For the driving wheels a set of Romford wheels with the crankpin holes on four of them drilled out to accommodate the pins on the coupling rod.

Complete wheel sets are available - 64.65 for the Hall and 41.52 for the Pannier (2013 price list www.markits.com ) and that explains why it is rarely done today, the cost goes a long way towards a new model that is far superior to those 1970s offering.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #18
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

And no sooner than I posted the above message than I got a tweet from Kernow saying they have the Hornby Rood Ashton Hall for 64.99.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #19
AndyGWR

AndyGWR is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank you

Hmmm... Ok, although I am sentimental about these two locos, if it is that expensive I might just try grinding the wheels down and leave it at that. As the weather has been so cold lately I haven't spent any time in "me shed" for months so it'll be a while before I get to do anything anyway.

Besides, hopefully when all the butchery is finished and I've repainted, detailed and weathered them, maybe the wheels won't show as much.

I have taken some photos during the surgery, so if they end up looking not too much like "Loco of Frankenstein", then I'll post them up.

Otherwise I'll be shopping for replacement bodies... :-)

Thanks again for your advice everyone.

What a helpful, friendly bunch you are
AndyGWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #20
Sarahagain

Sarahagain is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy.

Sorry about the delay in chipping in, only I have not been on this forum for a while....I lost tough somehow!

There ia a Hornby parts upgrade possible for the Pannier Tank. (Which uses the same chassis as the Jinty and Clas 08 made around the same time period....

This is a set of wheels and axles for the later, 1980, Pannier or Jinty.

These use a 'stepped' axle, which has the end parts that go into the wheel hub a smaller diameter than the rest of the axle, which is the same diameter as first used in 1952!

The X.04 Worm Gear will also fit these axles

These wheels have a 'shallow' flange to the centre wheels, and the spokes are different.

R.300 Pannier Tank 1980 Service Sheet 84B shewing the newer wheels and axles...

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_s....asp?sheetid=9

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_s...sp?sheetid=303

The Hall class loco will also have a finer wheelset from around 1980 available....I'll look up something soon!

Sarah.

Tri-ang Society and Train Collectors Society...
Sarahagain is offline   Reply With Quote