Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 14-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #21
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Wine women and song? Umm. Maybe model railways are cheap after all!
Had me wondering whether I had made the right choice!
Old 14-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

MG you are not middle aged. I consider myself to be just over middle aged.
Old 14-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #23
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
MG you are not middle aged. I consider myself to be just over middle aged.
I thought I was. What age is middle age? Isn't it somewhere in the 40's?
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #24
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I think middle age is in the mind. Our oldest friends who are the same age as us decided all was lost when they reached 60. As far as they were concerned there was no point in making any future plans.

Back on topic, most people manage to find money for their hobby.
Old 14-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
Mountain Goat

There are a few things I would like to see in the future. One is a manufacturer to make models which fill the gap of the word budget. Something slightly better then the old Jouef Playcraft level but relatively basic to get ones hobby started. Yes we do have something like that now, but the prices are not always at an attractive level for some beginners.

I also want to see a move to attract youngsters to enjoy the hobby like having shops set up similar to "Games Workshop" type shops where one is invited to join in the battles... Maybe such shops could instead be run by model railway clubs and provide an income for club funds? They could concentrate in secondhand sales. If only the costs of running such a shop were not so high!

DCC I find to be ideal for a club environment if enough handsets are available for use. It is a shame every systems handsets didnt work with each other in this way as the potential for a club environment is interesting.
Old 15-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Byegad

Byegad is on a distinguished road

I think the hobby is healthy, new models continue to roll off the production lines of the big makers, albeit at a price, and Crowd Funding fills in gaps they leave.

If the lack of 'character' of locomotives was ever going to kill off new entries to the hobby the Blue Arrows of indecision era would have done it with a uniform locomotive colour and reduced freight traffic, with block trains becoming the norm. The days of Steam locos of different colours {Admittedly many were black, but by no means all, and many black locos were beautifully lined out!} and mixed wagons on goods working were gone. All that seemed to be running on BR was a Blue box pulling a uniform train.

The hobby didn't fail and even though I'm a steam loco lover first, I have green, blue, sector and privatised diesels in my fleet.
Byegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #27
Mountain Goat

I thought the B.R. blue period was the smartest colour as it not only looked smart but hid the dirt. It is also one of the easiest periods to model due to the availability of models and if one chooses the period after the headcode box displays ended but before the exclusive greys arrived, you have relatively easy modelling as far as loco formations are concerned, and you still have a large variety of different classes and types of train seen passing on the network. Also, for me it was easier as it was what I saw passing as a child. Down my way I could see anything from triple headed class 03's passing with their normal 53-55 unfitted coal wagons to a HST. The headcode displays disappeared from 1976 onwards and fore a year or two most locos displayed 0O00. (About 1978 onwards it was the two domino dots). In my area the first large logo B.R. blue I saw pass was around 1983-4 and I saw one exclusive grey powercar of a HST come past (The rest was the blue grey livery) in 1985.
Most of the country saw livery changes about 3-5 years earlier then we did though in B.R. days as we seemed to get the hand me downs from elsewhere. It was why this area was exciting!