Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 15-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #21
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parkes View Post
Just make sure the 14xx works okay - the two weaknesses with the Airfix chassis are the plunger pick ups failing due to the motor drawing more current than the springs in the plungers can cope with and the plastic gear wheel getting stripped by the brass worm. Mine suffered initially from the pick up issue and I discovered the way of adopting the motor not to wire a decoder in but to power the motor from pick up wheels fitted to the autotrailer.
You can obviously wire the decoder direct to the metal strip in the chassis and both brush holders without any separate wires involved but I always find it useful on more awkward hard wiring jobs to use wires to the hidden parts so I can check for any shorts once reassembled.
One of the main things to be careful of as this could kill decoders is that there is a motor contact in the form of a metal pole going from the motor to the base of the chassis. On the one I once had (And with quite a few others) this metal pole contact can shift and touch the chassis causing a direct short. One has to get some tape or something to tape round the sides of the pole ensuring the bottom of the pole can still touch the bottom chassis contact. This eliminates the potential for a direct short.
Once I did this and I repositioned the six plunger pickups to be closer to the wheels,my Airfix 14xx became a sweet runner. My 14xx 5 pole motor was brilliant and never had the issues that other Airfix 14xx motors had.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
One of the main things to be careful of as this could kill decoders is that there is a motor contact in the form of a metal pole going from the motor to the base of the chassis.
As I described the brush holder with the metal pole on it is fitted on top of the motor instead - the metal pole neatly fitting into the dome out of harms way of causing any short.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #23
jrsaito

jrsaito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parkes View Post
As I described the brush holder with the metal pole on it is fitted on top of the motor instead - the metal pole neatly fitting into the dome out of harms way of causing any short.
I think your inversion of the brush holders is an elegant solution to the "shorting" problem, especially when fitting DCC.
Thanks for the info.
David
jrsaito is offline   Reply With Quote