Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 16-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
When I was very young, late 60s, I remember a lot of controversy as regards the book "Chariots of the Gods." This set out to prove that a lot of the known anachronisms of the time could be explained by the interference of alien life forms in our history who donated technologies and, in doing so became themselves the 'Gods.' His arguments were based on the fact that such remains as the pyramids and Stonehenge were not possible with the technologies available at the time they were built so must have been either assisted or even built by extra terrestrial beings.

From what I remember it caused quite a stir at the time.
A tiny bit of me still leans towards that theory. Hard to disprove one way or another.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road
Default Chariots of the Dogs

I was about twelve when that book, and the movie shortly thereafter, came out. Quite exciting, that and the Loch Ness Monster.

The problem with aliens and UFO's is purely mathematical. It takes light from our star, the sun, eleven minutes to reach Earth. That, traveling at light speed.

The stars one sees in the night sky are composed of light waves generated millions of years ago. Ergo, if an alien was to board his space craft and travel to Earth (a micronic speck in the universe), it would take him several million years to reach here. He would be a bit long of tooth by the time he completed his journey.

Also, if I remember right, none of the stars visible to Earthlings have planetary bodies, who Mr. Alien would have to travel quite a bit further than the nearest visible star. So, he'd really, really be long of tooth. Worm holes, and other such fantasy, is not born out from anything I've heard about.

Essentially, Homo Sapien is simply a variety of ape. The closest ape kin are chimpanzees and orangutans. It is identified that even some monkeys use a rudimentary, sort of repetitive speech, to communicate things like, "Careful, there's a lion nearby." Chimps can use sticks to dig termites out of logs. Chops, on a good day, can fall off a log.

The major differences between our ape cousins begin to show in that unlike them, we have a rather unlimited imagination. The neolithic peoples of Britain were not stupid, and they probably had a bit of time on their hands as they would have been well fed, living on an island where it rains most of the time, so stuff grows and edibles abound.

So how does one move a twenty ton slab from Wales if one lacks even oxen?
Ingenuity. It's a human thing.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
A tiny bit of me still leans towards that theory. Hard to disprove one way or another.
I think, from what I remember, that was the real controversy, although many dismissed the idea, no-one could disprove it!!
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post
I was about twelve when that book, and the movie shortly thereafter, came out. Quite exciting, that and the Loch Ness Monster.

The problem with aliens and UFO's is purely mathematical. It takes light from our star, the sun, eleven minutes to reach Earth. That, traveling at light speed.

The stars one sees in the night sky are composed of light waves generated millions of years ago. Ergo, if an alien was to board his space craft and travel to Earth (a micronic speck in the universe), it would take him several million years to reach here. He would be a bit long of tooth by the time he completed his journey.

Also, if I remember right, none of the stars visible to Earthlings have planetary bodies, who Mr. Alien would have to travel quite a bit further than the nearest visible star. So, he'd really, really be long of tooth. Worm holes, and other such fantasy, is not born out from anything I've heard about.

Essentially, Homo Sapien is simply a variety of ape. The closest ape kin are chimpanzees and orangutans. It is identified that even some monkeys use a rudimentary, sort of repetitive speech, to communicate things like, "Careful, there's a lion nearby." Chimps can use sticks to dig termites out of logs. Chops, on a good day, can fall off a log.

The major differences between our ape cousins begin to show in that unlike them, we have a rather unlimited imagination. The neolithic peoples of Britain were not stupid, and they probably had a bit of time on their hands as they would have been well fed, living on an island where it rains most of the time, so stuff grows and edibles abound.

I think you are still being restrained by your own range of understanding. If we assume that time and space cannot have a beginning nor an end and must progress infinitely in all directions, our understanding of the universe is based on our experiences of an infinitesimally small piece of this. The extra terrestrials may be able to travel vast distances driven by thought alone, or jump around in time from millions of years ahead. What if the extra terrestrials that may have built the pyramids were in fact from earth many thousands of years into our own future when time travel may have become available to all?

You never know!!
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post
One moves it with cranes and lorries and adds a few stones from Wales back when a certain quarry in Wales was in operation.

I can't find the film I was looking for but I have found this one.

https://youtu.be/5TJOkR6lAaA
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Clever apes. Must be behind the Flat Earth Society, as well. But I do find the Theory of Relativity quite breath taking: time, as we think of it neither exists or not. Speed cannot exceed that of light. Looking at, or measuring any given thing, alters it. If matter cannot be created or destroyed, then everything has no beginning, nor end.