Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > Model Railway Events

Model Railway Events Exhibitions etc

Old 26-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road
Default Amalgamated Wagon Works @ Wigan

Amalgamated Wagon Works is featuring at Wigan this weekend. I will be there on the Saturday so forum members make yourself known if you are attending you will easily recognise me I will be the guy struggling with the three link couplings

Richard

Last edited by Tricky Dicky; 26-09-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Missing word
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Tricky Dicky

Just a report back from Saturday. Things went a lot smoother this time, Ben had been working hard prior to the show putting in a slightly larger final link on each of the the three link couplings. The extra half millimetre or so really made a difference when it came to coupling up a lot less frustration and more enjoyment. I still have no great love for 3 link couplings especially as Am Wag has plenty of electromagnet uncouplers but hey ho!

I did get a chance to take in a few of the other layouts and although narrow gauge does not float my boat I have to admit that some of the most imaginative modelling I have seen has been on narrow gauge. The star of the show for me was Pen-y-Graig a narrow gauge line in N Wales serving a slate quarry. The quarry was situated half way up a hill with a water balance incline delivering slate wagons to the valley below. The modellers managed to model a figure pushing a wagon to the incline. Once the wagon was loaded onto the moving platform a small turntable rotated the wagon so that it was orientated correctly to be pulled of by a loco at the base of the incline.

There were quite a few n-gauge layouts and it was pleasant to see full length trains running, my only complaint being that in many cases operators simply fired a couple trains from each direction simply passing each other on the scenic bit so if you stood there long enough it just became repeatative especially where there were other parts of the layout unused where shunting could have added interest.

North Foreland was another layout that demonstrated my opinion that more exhibition layouts could benefit from DCC. This was an O gauge layout kept busy by merely two operatives driving trains changing signals and points and even operating a turntable all from two handsets. A typical sequence was a train pulling into a bay platform engine first. Another loco that had just been turned on a turntable was hitched to the carriages ready to be pulled out. The arriving loco then used a loop by to proceed to the turntable to be turned before being parked in a siding waiting for the next train. Finally the re hitched train departed the station, all this happened in a matter of minutes and from the punters point of view kept you interested and entertained.

I know this is a perennial arguement but I am firmly of the opinion that in a show environment it is important to entertain even if it means suspending reality a bit. Too often you see operators indulging themselves running their layouts like they would in a club room and not considering the punters point of view. Anyway rant over, it was an enjoyable if tiring experience being up at 6:00am and not getting home till 8:00pm having spent most of the intervening hours on my feet.

Richard
Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you had a lovely time! Can't remember if it was this site or one of the others I'm on, but I saw a good practical solution to the three link woes on a 00 gauge layout. Though it was in 00, it looks perfectly adaptable to 0 gauge. It used a form of three link but the very bottom was a powerful tiny magnet with another being fixed just below the hook on the opposite wagon. It worked automatically to couple up though uncoupling needs a sharp pull to dislodge the magnetic force. The person who showed his couplings tested how much they would pull. As he only has a small layout he tested it on lengths of track on the floor a d ran out of wagons somewhere near 50 so it certainly can pull 50 in 00 gauge. With 0 gauge one has the room for larger more powerful magnets if needed.
I thought the idea may come in use. The guy made a short film on YouTube showing how it worked.

Just found it. It is Panniertank on this site. Go to the workbench section and take a look at his couplings thread.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 01-10-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Tricky Dicky

Hi MG

Could you post a link to that site, sounds interesting.

Thanks Richard
Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=12618

I hope it works....

https://youtu.be/n2AmO6jxvIs

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Tricky Dicky

Hi MG

I had a look at that system and very interesting it was I will float it past Ben but I suspect he will opt for the status quo. Myself I would like a system where we could use the already installed uncouplers, Ben was going to install Dignam couplings at one point but then decided against them.

Richard
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

The ultimate goal would be to be able to uncouple any wagon/coach
anywhere on the layout without raised ramps or magnets but I guess thats a little way off yet.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
Tricky Dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
The ultimate goal would be to be able to uncouple any wagon/coach
anywhere on the layout without raised ramps or magnets but I guess thats a little way off yet.
Hi Terry

I have seen a system that is part way there. It's based on modifying small relays by adding a thin wire to the moving part of the switch, the wire being bent to form a hook which can be raised or lowered as required hooking into a loop attatched to a wagon. Obviously needs a decoder to activate the relay so only of any real use to couple up a rake of wagons to a loco or if your funds stretch to it by putting function decoders into carriages.

Richard
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
Hi Terry

I have seen a system that is part way there. It's based on modifying small relays by adding a thin wire to the moving part of the switch, the wire being bent to form a hook which can be raised or lowered as required hooking into a loop attatched to a wagon. Obviously needs a decoder to activate the relay so only of any real use to couple up a rake of wagons to a loco or if your funds stretch to it by putting function decoders into carriages.

Richard
I've got some old relays. Might be fun having a play one day.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Why would it need a decoder to operate the relay.