Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 26-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

When I suggested there might be some melted insulation, I didnt mean melting the insulation to remove it, but that some may have found its way onto the iron and been transferred to the joint.
Old 26-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
The Duke

The Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I should have explained exactly what I did to solder.
I tinned All the parts to be soldered together and had difficulty seeing the solder on the wires because they were so fine. Then I held the iron which also was tinned, under the joint. The solder melted instantly but the peices kept coming apart and it took a couple of attempts. The red wire was easier than the black. The positive side has two joints successfully soldered, its only the black side thats come off. Maybe I moved it too soon when I did the negeive wire and moved the wire a bit while the solder was still soft.
Ill read through all of the posts and think about it and give it another go tonight.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 26-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
The Duke

Just thought Id share this video link I found. If anyone else learning about soldering is looking for solutions, i found this interesting.
https://youtu.be/ZajStWIoIes
Old 26-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
southern

southern is on a distinguished road

I got some street lights from china . They had the small red and black wire . I used flux on each wire before i soldered that worked fine . Quite a few years now with no problem. This is what i used now i use it every time i solder. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electroni...cAAOSw3xJVaBlm
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
The Duke

Thanks. Ive seen that brand around. Nice and cheap too. Ill get some.
Old 27-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Are the two wires the same, sourced from the same supplier? If you are having trouble soldering one wire compared to the other then it could be the wire that is the problem. You can get aluminium cored wire as opposed to tinned copper, the former will not solder. When you strip the wire will tend to look shinier than tinned copper and will also tend break easier.

Also is your solder on the roll a shiny grey colour or a dull grey? If the latter it has become badly oxidised and the flux will have problems suspending the oxides leading to dry joints.

As already advised I think the first thing to do is clean the soldering tip and re-tin it. Also increase your soldering temperature and try not to disturb the joint until the solder completely freezes.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
whizzo

whizzo is on a distinguished road

hi I suffer with the shaking hands -mostly caused through paying bills Ha Ha any way I use wooden pegs to hold things , as you can shape the front/tip - to like small jaws with a file - or grinder - but not the plastic ones /// + it saves my finger tips regards Dave
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #18
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

Maybe I moved it too soon when I did the negeive wire and moved the wire a bit while the solder was still soft.
All the suggestions made are possible but I reckon you answered your own question yesterday........dry joint.
Old 27-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Maybe I should have explained exactly what I did to solder.
I tinned All the parts to be soldered together and had difficulty seeing the solder on the wires because they were so fine. Then I held the iron which also was tinned, under the joint. The solder melted instantly but the peices kept coming apart and it took a couple of attempts. The red wire was easier than the black. The positive side has two joints successfully soldered, its only the black side thats come off. Maybe I moved it too soon when I did the negeive wire and moved the wire a bit while the solder was still soft.
Ill read through all of the posts and think about it and give it another go tonight.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
If as you say you tinned the wires and iron beforehand then its probably a case of movement before the solder has cooled. Like Tinker says earlier, get yourself a set of helping hands. They are ridiculously cheap compared go the trouble and time they will save you. Once you have secured the two parts ensuring good contact then apply the hot iron to both sides at same time for no more than 1-2 seconds. If properly tinned then additional solder is not normally required but add a little if needed at same time as the iron is applied. To do this you need two free hands, hence the tool! Now take the iron away and don't move joint for at least 5 seconds. After removing from the tool give the joint a gentle tug to test it. Do this and you will get a perfect joint everytime. Practice on spare bits of wire and old components.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #20
Shroomy
Chief Vinter

Shroomy is an unknown quantity at this point

As an addition get some self clamping tweezers like these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28232444241...D1425741271340
Good at holding fine wires in the helping hands rather then the crocodile jaws