Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

You've done what I did BB, thick wire to thin. I wrapped the thin wire around the thick one and then soldered the combined mass and then put heat shrink over the lot. Nightmare stuff isn't it? Especially for those of us who are hard of sight. R-
Old 02-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #22
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Richard and Roger - I didn't think there was anything special about it, but thought I would ask. I'll tread carefully! BB
Old 02-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #23
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you'll be fine. The hardest bit I found was getting rid of the insulation, which is invisible to the naked eye. I tried burning it off with the soldering iron but was not sure that I wasn't causing damage to the wire inside. I ended up running a fine needle file over it. I suppose if the solder sticks - you've done it! R-

Last edited by RogerB; 02-03-2016 at 02:46 PM.
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
I'm sure you'll be fine. The hardest bit I found was getting rid of the insulation, which is invisible to the naked eye. I tried burning it off with the soldering iron but was not sure that I wasn't causing damage to the wire inside. I ended up running a fine needle file over it. I suppose if the solder sticks - you've done it! R-
I think the coating is designed to melt/burn away when you touch it with the iron. Still a bu##er though.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #25
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Well, I got one buffer fitted. What probably should have taken thirty minutes, took two hours. The buffers come in packs of two, having fitted one, which didn't work, I came to the conclusion the PCB was duff. The second one I wired up on the bench -it worked, now fitted and all ok. I have taken the power directly from the bus wires. It was at the end of the line, so a convenient way to wire up. I have another pack. I have some others that I bought recently, and they look identical to the Peco buffer stop, except they have a working light, a diode wired in, and more importantly, cheaper than the DCC Concepts version.