Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 29-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
BR87

BR87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys appreciate the comments, I enjoy this type of work just trying to update an old model, sadly progress is a bit slow due to other things being built as well, hoping to get everything primed and started painting by end of the weekend.
BR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #22
BR87

A few small things still to do on the loco end, details on the boiler and front buffer beam, but the chassis still requires testing before it can go forward to painting stages. Vacuum and Air pipes on the buffer beam are made out of the Gibson braded pipes.

The clack valves which are on the side of the boiler and supply water to it are made from Hornby Schools spare clack valves from the old tender drive schools. Plastic pipe work was removed and a small 0.6mm hole drilled to accept some copper wire. It's test fitted and checked to ensure it all fits together ok, these will be added after painting.

(Ex-Hornby schools clack valves, fitted with 0.6mm copper wire)

The boiler barrel was drilled with 2 - 2.5mm drill to accept the clack valves clip, I used some masking tape to mark out the hole on the splasher, which needs to be 0.6mm, I used a hand drill which you can get from all good model shops and eBay. The copper wire was then bent in to shape according to the test fit, these won't appear unit final fitting after the paint work is complete.

(Left: Hole drilled in the boiler and a 0.6mm hole marked on the splasher, Right: One clack valve test fitted)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
Captain Bubble

Captain Bubble is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely!
Captain Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #24
BR87

Some final checks over the loco body prior to primer being applied, there is only one item left to complete which is the loco back head, some work has already been done as you have seen earlier on, but still not quite finished, with various gauges and pipe work.

I turned my attention to finishing off the chassis, which includes painting, the chassis was primed in grey primer from Halfords, and the outside of the frames sprayed Matt black again from Halfords and was left to dry over night, next day I could then paint the inner frames red, which is common for all loco's, I used a Humbrol red (174).
This was the chassis pretty much ready to be reassembled once the wheels were complete, the cylinders requires painting to SR olive green and Satin Black which I will do by hand.

(Chassis painted, with cylinders yet to be painted)

On the wheels which are W&T wheels with plastic centres similar to what Hornby / Gibson use, I needed to add balance weights or wheel weights on the loco's wheels, looking at images I measured some up using some plasticard and then cut them out, and glued in position.

(Balance weights made from 10/000 plasticard)

The crank pins I will be using are the Romford Deluxe type, these I decided to use due to the plastic centres and do not require any soldering which would warp / melt the plastic and then the crank pin being off centre would cause problems.
Which is why I generally use these, as these have threaded shaft with a small collared nut so nice and simple if any more work is required the rods can be easily removed.

(Romford Deluxe crank pins)
Old 15-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #25
BR87

Default RE:

The wheels go on to be primed and painted, before doing so the pickups are added to the chassis, as seen in pictures above the chassis has had copper clad board glued in placed using araldite, the pickup or wiper blades are made from Phosphor Bronzes strip (3/64 x 1/4) this is soldered to the copper clad board they are bent in to shape over the side of the chassis but slightly pointing outward to give it a slight spring on the back of the wheel.

The pickup wipers can be adjusted later on test runs.

(Left: pickups before bending downwards, Right: Pickups bent down and checked for contact with the wheels)

Now the reassembly can begin, wheels added, and rods put on to the crank pins, there were some tight spots but were resolved but just opening the hole up slightly, and de-bur the edges of the hole. After assembly it was time to check and lubricate and go for a test run, I expect there will be more tweaks and adjustments to be made to enable good running.
Once all ok the chassis will be finished off and painted, and the black outline of the wheels finished off.

(Left: Connection rods being assembled, Right: Motor fitted and wired, and test runs taking place)
Old 16-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #26
Captain Bubble

Great thread, great progress!
Old 16-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #27
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Yes very interesting..I only realised fairly recently that loco balance weights weren't all the same size.
Old 27-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #28
BR87

Now the chassis is complete attention can now turn to finishing off the cab and the general finishing off the body. The body will be now prepped for painting, which is not the most exciting process in the world but it's important to get the best surface to paint on, to enable the best finish possible, as I have always been told 99% prep 1% brush to have the best finish possible.

After 2 - 3 coats of P75 Phoenix paints SR Olive green, other areas are painted up black red ect... sadly the pretty bits take time in terms of lining out, numbers and letters. The model is pretty much approaching being ready for decals to be applied some tidying up and finishing off still to be done, but getting there.
In the next week or so I will post a little more on the coaches.

Old 27-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #29
Captain Bubble

It looks superb, yet at the same somewhat disappointing because it is so nearly perfect, but badly needs those little finishing details! They take a long time to do, but once done the difference is vast; that model shows every sign of being a real beauty, nice work!
Old 27-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #30
BR87

Yes certainly takes time... although I probably would of finished but sadly work on others models take priority as that's where the cash comes from.
I think next week I will start the lining (FUN) and hopefully will take a week or 2 to finish.... I have done a little more than this since the images were taken but not much, cleaned up areas, and painted the clack valves, and painted the cab.