Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 05-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
BR87

BR87 is on a distinguished road

Lamp irons are a bit tricky, these will either be right or wrong, sadly I haven't got an image of either of the possible K-Class that may of been saved for the Bluebell in or around the 1930's livery (2353 / 2341) so this will have to be a guess either it will be the lamp irons wrong or the safety valve bonnet, either way I can replace these when and if I find evidence.
The lamp irons again I have used the split pins as previously seen in othe builds size used 1/32 x 1/2 inch. I will also be be using the tall front LBSC lamp irons, these are available as an etch from RT models. These are fitted drilling a small 1 mm hole and using some alraldite to fix them in place.

Work on the cab and the tender continues, the cab and tender require hand rails, which are quite straight forward to do having done this on previous projects. Using Plastic strip from Evergreen, and using some 0.45mm wire. Small holes were drilled in the running plates and the plastic, and on the loco the cab roof.
Small sections of the beading along the top of the tender and cab openings were removed, to allow the plastic strip sections to be installed which holds the wire or handrail. Some of the white metal of the cab sides had to be cut back slightly to allow for the new handrail.

BR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
BR87

While installing the handrails sadly my brain started thinking how to go a step further, you maybe able to see on the image above the rear of the cab a piece of wire on the back of the foot plate casting, as I decided to make a fall plate which bridges the gap between the cab and the tender.
Purchasing some Diamond chequer etch plate from Mainly Trains I shaped it and bent the tabs which will be soldered over to complete the fall plate, I also left a central tab in the middle to stop the plate falling.

The cab doors attached to the tender handrails are made in the same way but with standard brass sheet, which requires cutting, this may seem over the top but every detail helps.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
BR87

Moving on to the finer details, handrails, I shall be using short handrail holders, and 0.45mm wire the holes were opened uo slightly to accept the hand rail holders, and these were glued in position when they were straight. There are quite a few areas that require hand rails, these all use hand rail holders looking at photos of the class.

There was one small item that was missing from the kit the motion bracket which slots in to the chassis, these were originally castings, but I shall have to attempt to make these from pictures.
Using some 1mm plasticard I shaped the brackets, I then reinforced these with some brass sheet, also this will help attach them to the chassis as these can be soldered. The 2 pieces are glued with araldite clamped together then shaped, and cleaned up.
A small tab is bent at a 90 degree angle to the bracket and then soldered to the side of the chassis.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
Captain Bubble

Captain Bubble is on a distinguished road

Great stuff, cheers!
Captain Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Looking great. Looking to see it finished.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #16
BR87

Thank you as am I, Still a long way to go.
Old 28-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
BR87

Back to the tender, a few finishing bits and pieces, lamp irons and the doors, I also replaced the guard irons which were castings originally but were well over thickness so have been replaced with some etched nickel silver sheet, bent to shape, and glued in place.

But I always had a small issue with the buffer beam which pretty much started to disintegrate as soon as I started work on it.
I removed the buffers I installed, and cleaned off the face, there were cracks in the white metal which kept moving when the wheels of the tender were removed, I used some brass sheet and but in the holes for the buffers and hook. This was glued to the front of the beam.

(New brass buffer beam, buffers later added)

The tender was now ready to go forward on to prep work for painting stages, after 4 days of priming and levelling and filling and then levelling again, the tender was primed in Halfords Grey primer other makes are available, this will be the base for the Olive SR green livery.

Old 28-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I think BR you are to model engine building what Allan Downes is to model building building (?). Make sense? Looks great, well done. R-
Old 28-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Captain Bubble

Captain Bubble is on a distinguished road

Good comparison Roger! Yup, fascinating thread and great work.
Captain Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #20
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Yup, I'm with Roger on that too.