Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > Z Scale

Z Scale Z scale and smaller model railway topics

Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
BerkshireBugsy

BerkshireBugsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackemEvs View Post
So don't ever complain you don't have enough space for a layout!!!
It's times like this I wish there was a "LIKE" button
BerkshireBugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
Chris
Administrator

Chris is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine (who got me into Z instead of N) built an exquisit little layout in the early days of T scale (which I intoduced to him as I had one of the first sets in the UK, before there was a dealer here). He exhibited it several times in the north of Scotland. And here, for your delectation, is a couple of photos of it.

N scale Z scale Breitenfurt Ost
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks nice. Wouldn't like to put the things on the track though without the railer device. Can you imagine having a peak. What about a Big Boy!
The big advantage is to have a floor layout where viewed from above, as if one was in an aircraft. Wouldn't that be cool.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Chris
Administrator

Chris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
That looks nice. Wouldn't like to put the things on the track though without the railer device. Can you imagine having a peak. What about a Big Boy!
The big advantage is to have a floor layout where viewed from above, as if one was in an aircraft. Wouldn't that be cool.
Actually, not as difficult as you would think. The rails are steel and there are magnets in the stock. I could put them onto the track without a railer and once there, you can turn the layout upside down and run it! If it wasn't for the fact that I lost my sight in one eye, I might have pursued T scale further.

N scale Z scale Breitenfurt Ost
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Interesting about the magnets. Is a good idea.
Regarding size, I find that I have gone up a scale in the last few years. Painting is easier in that if I accidently paint something I didn't intend to, it is less noticeable and does less damage (E.G. windows!). Went to 7mm scale narrow gauge. While I'd love room and a budget for 7mm standard gauge I have to be sensible as I have lots of 00 I can use for track, wheels etc if I need, or sell on to get funds for the narrow gauge. I did try 009/H0e but it is not as easy to scratch build and I have no N gauge chassis to use.
Been into 00 all my modelling life on and off, and is good, but I feel that prices hikes do not necessarily mirror value for money in the extra detail etc one gets. In some cases some newer models became a nightmare... I have two Heljan class 47's I bought secondhand and they were tight in their bodies when I fitted the chips, and a year or two later the bodies had split. Seems the body is shrinking or the chassis are growing! Shame as I paid a big price for them from my local model shop. He didn't deal with Heljan. I was willing to pay new prices to save me repainting 47's to my desired livery. Ah well. More spares for my scratchbuilding. I have a cunning plan...
Old 10-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #16
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Wow! One must use caution not to accidentally inhale a wagon.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops View Post
Wow! One must use caution not to accidentally inhale a wagon.
Reminds me of my grandad talking about an engineering exhibition. On display was a tiny but and bolt which a far eastern (Japanese?) manufacturer had made. It was labelled as the worlds smallest but and bolt.
A British firm looked at it and asked if they could borrow it for a little while. Eventually they brought back the but and bolt. One of the staff who'd brought the display in noticed there was something that seemed to be sticking out the bolt. They quickly got magnification on it to see what it was. The British firm in their mischief had drilled a hole and slotted in a smaller but and bolt to the original!

Before T scale came in the smallest was Z. I was in touch with a man who was in retirement age, who said he had made himself a trainset that was half the size of Z gauge. He said it was fully working. I never got to see it, but I'd chatted to him about many things in the past when I first got to see him and he was a very knowledgeable man. He wasn't the boastful type and knew a lot of the goings on in the world. He said if I wanted to know the truth, never listen to the TV, but read two certain newspapers. Sadly today both these newspapers are more censored. Fortunately we have the internet, but we do need to do some detective work to dot the i's and cross the t's before we can put two and two together.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
dkightley

dkightley is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Having been directed to this forum by Google, I'm quite amazed at the lack of knowledge and the amount of mis-information about T Gauge.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not whingeing about what people say about T.....but I do see and hear things said about T Gauge that many would never contemplate saying about any other gauge.

T Gauge is a serious gauge that is hampered by the lack of available products...which in turn is hampered by a reluctance by modellers to give the gauge a try! And because of that, its the butt of many a sarcastic comment!

Do take a look over at the Talking T Gauge forum ( http://www.talkingtgauge.net/index.php ) and you'll see some of the very good layouts that have been produced...and others in production.

To wet your appetite, take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys_C2RPribc

Cheers for now

Doug Kightley
(Very) New forum member....
dkightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Only thing that comes to mind is that I have enough trouble seeing N gauge let along Z. Now even smaller. Also the smaller they get the more expensive they become. Never had a passion for becoming a Watch Maker.
Go on mock if you must. I got broad back.
The eternal cynic...................John
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarfIV View Post

This?
Probably, it was over a year ago. Sorry I've just seen this reply (one of those disappearing threads that I imagine )

It's very clever though.