Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > Z Scale

Z Scale Z scale and smaller model railway topics

Old 29-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #51
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

Coming from Arbroath myself, but have been down south for 50 years, I know just how quiet it is up there, I remember travelling about 40 miles and seeing nothing but forestry trees in their infancy. No doubt it is a little differnt now. Once upon a time it took twelve to thirteen hours to get from here to Arbroath, now it takes six hours, such is the motorways.

Albert.
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #52
Chris
Administrator

Chris is on a distinguished road

Dear Friends,
Well, the Inverness expo was a bit of a disaster. First of all the layout was playing up even before I left (because of the ballasting mostly). The expo was spread across two floors of an hotel and, needless to say, I was (two floors) upstairs. To get it up we had to tip it onto its end to get it in the lift. As a result, the signal box, which I had forgotten about, fell and all but demolished two signals so now all four signals at the up end of the station have broken posts. Fortunately the motors were not affected. In addition the newly fitted starter signal for Gleis 4 decided not to work so power had to be supplied to the track manually.. Actually, this didn't matter as I could not use Gleis 3 so only one train could be run anticlockwise at a time anyway. On Gleis 3 locos and coaches were derailing by the up signals. This turned out to be the result of a fishplate being under a rail. It's worked OK for 4 years, so why now? And, finally, my backscene disappeared during packing up. Inverness club don't have it and the hotel doesn't have it so the club had emailed all the exhibitors to try to track it down.

Turning to the trains, several of the locos (all, I think, with 5-pole motors) kept going short circuit after a few minutes so had to be replaced with older, more reliable, ones. Other than that the trains worked well. In fact, at one stage I was running a train consisting of an S3/5 (1972 version) with 3 Pδckwagen and 7 Reisewagen - 40 axles and no wheel spin. (Of course, they were the old Bavarian coaches which are shorter but the whole train just fitted in the platform.)

Going back to the signals not working, can anyone recommend an adhesive for the plastic that Viessmann use for their signal masts/posts? Nothing I have seems to work.

Best wishes,
Chris.

PS. There are plenty of images of the missing background from previous exhibitions and my blog on my website in case anyone spots it.

• N scale • Z scale • Breitenfurt Ost •
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #53
alfaz-di-pi

alfaz-di-pi is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris you seem to have had a bit of a disaster, with the last exhibition. Hope things go better for the next one, and that you or someone finds the missing backscene.

Albert.
alfaz-di-pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
Chris
Administrator

Hi Albert.
Yes, tell me about it. Trouble is, I cannot remember what the last thing was that I took down while a club member carried my last case down. I do remember looking around and not seeing my back scene, which had been leaned up against the was with its two 'wings' still attached. The latter don't matter as they were for the bin anyway.
Chris.

Old 17-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #55
Chris
Administrator

Dear Friends,

The good news is that my background has been found - at the hotel!

I didn't keep you up to date with the progress on the layout as most of my updates to the website were all pretty boring with lots of text and few images. However, I have added a few images from the exhibition if you are interested. Of course, they are not much different from those in the spring. Worth having a look though, if you are interested.

With my best wishes,
Chris.

Old 23-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #56
Cartesianphilosopher

Cartesianphilosopher is on a distinguished road

Chris - love your work. Very interested to see the most up to date pics of your layout and also one pic of the underside of your wiring leviathan!

Cheers,

Richard
Cartesianphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #57
Cartesianphilosopher

....and pics of your command console....
Old 23-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #58
Chris
Administrator

Thank you for the compliments Richard. My website is, sadly, fully up to date. I have been on another project so the railway hasn't been touched since the last entry. So the last entry in the diary and the last exhibition report are it for the moment. I do have a possibility of an expo early April so I have to pull myself together to be ready if needed.

Once again, thanks.
With best wishes,
Chris.

Old 23-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #59
Cartesianphilosopher

Good luck with that then buddy. I do concede to being romanticised by Z Gauge. Far too diddly for me but sincere respect to those that do model in Z. It must be so rewarding but equally frustrating at times. Bet smaller doesn't mean cheaper, especially when it comes to rolling stock!