Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > Z Scale

Z Scale Z scale and smaller model railway topics

Old 05-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris is on a distinguished road
Default 'Bahnhof Breitenfurt Ost'

Welcome to Breitefurt.

Apart from a couple of false starts back in my childhood and in the late 1980's this is my first proper layout. My ambition has been to have a model railway when I retired and about four years ago I decided that I would sell off my HO/OO stuff (which I will do eventually) and build a large N scale layout, based on German practice. I stated collecting locos, rolling stock, track and other items about four years ago. But ...

Just over a year ago I saw Z scale for the first time and quickly realised the amazing potential of this small scale. Thus the seed was sown and over the last 12 months I have collected nearly enough material to produce an interesting layout with plenty of operational interest. Hence 'Breitfurt' was conceived. And just over nine months later the first track was laid and pulled up and laid again.

Breitefurt is a small fictional town, somewhere in Germany, which has become a satellite town to a larger metropolis. As such it is on the outer limits of the commuter belt and mots commuter trains terminate there. There is also a small branch line that carries tourists and locals up into the hills that surround the town. A second branch is in the planning stage to bypass a bottleneck further up the line. (See http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layouts...le/Breitefurt/ )

Although the layout was far from complete it was exhibited in Inverness in September and will be shown also in Elgin next month.

Currently, I am laying the track-work for the hidden sidings (bottom left pointwork). I am keeping a 'diary' of the layout's progress and photos and comments can be seen on my website at the above address. Do have a look.

With best wishes to all,
Chris.

N scale Z scale Breitenfurt Ost

Last edited by Chris; 15-07-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Change of layout name.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Received, from On Tracks, the last bit of track needed to complete the main lines so am back to eh stage of being able to run trains as soon as I get it all wired up. That, in the end, is some 350+ connections if you include power, points, uncouplers and signals. Lighting is another kettle of fish! For the Elgin exhibition, I have knocked up a temporary control panel - and scared myself. The reality of what I have taken on has just hit me! There are 56 two-way switches and 11 push buttons.

Latest photos are at the same place as in my previous post.

Chris.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator

I was horrified to see that I haven't posted since last August! Too many worries is my excuse. Anyway, to bring you folks up to date, since I lat posted Breitefurt has been to two exhibiitons (Inverness and Elgin) and is scheduled for a third (in Elgin again).

The layout is coming on well. All the track has been laid though I have to rip up bits every so often in order to tweak things and some of the track needs re-pinning, but I'm pretty well there now. I have added a temporary control panel to supply power to the track - all 55 sections of it - and have just about finished adding in the signals.

The signals are semi automatic. A train approaching the station clears the incoming block signal which applies power to the track. After passing into the next section, the train resets the signal to danger. Similarly, when a train is due to leave the station, the starter signal applies power to the exit route and is, in turn, set back to danger as the train approaches the hidden sidings. Only one end of the layout has been done but I hope to get the other end sorted shortly. The automatic control can be overridden to allow for hands off tail chasing when necessary.

There are photos on my site (http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layouts...le/Breitefurt/) as well as reports from the two exhibitions. Do have a look.

With best wishes,
Chris.

[Later. Link in last paragraph corrected.]

Last edited by Chris; 13-04-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Link in last paragraph corrected.
Old 29-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Hi Guys.

Well, had a great time at the Elgin model rail exhibition this Easter; lots of interest and positive comments. You can see photos of Breitefurt (and all the other layouts) by going to my site (see previous message) and clicking on the link to the Moray MRG Easter Exhibition. After all the excitement, I am taking a break but will start on extending the electrics to points and uncouplers shortly.

Anyway, have a look at my website and enjoy.

All the best,
Chris.

Old 17-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Default Breitefurt

Good morning everyone.

After Elgin I put the layout to one side while I pursued other activities. However, over the last few days it has been tipped up again so that I can work on the under board wiring. A dead section (up end of the relief road) turned out to be a loose wire. All my wires go through screwed terminal strips (chock blocks) and the very fine wires used by Marklin for point motors etc. can slip up the side of the screws; obviously this time I didn't check.

I had decided after Elgin to redesign the power routing for the two exit roads at the down end of the station and this is now complete though the reverse running diodes may still need a bit of attention. So, a typical operation just requires that I apply power to the down main just where it approaches the hidden sidings, pull off the signal and start the train. All the signals are reverted to danger once the train has passed the down advance starter.

You can see the tracks involved and the circuit diagram at the usual address (http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layouts...le/Breitefurt/). Any queries or suggestions can be sent through the forum or, better still, via the 'Contact Webmaster' link on the home page (http://trains.manvell.org.uk/z-scale/). Do have a look, you may get some ideas from there as I have never seen this technique anywhere else.

With best wishes,
Chris.

Old 21-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Good grief, is it really 3 months since I posted an update? I lost all my shortcuts a while back and one of the many I forgot about was this one.

One helluvalot has happened to Breitefurt in the last few months. Mostly the temporary scenery is still in place but underground there have been any changes. The routing into and out of the station has been automated, mostly using diode logic, so now most of the possible routes can be set up by the press of a single button. Some of these are on the mimic diagram, the rest being controlled from Marklin switches. All the signals now work and are set at the same time as the route is set up - just like the real thing.

If you are interested in the process, you can read about it on my website at <http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layouts/z-scale/Breitefurt/>. You will need to go to the bottom of the page and select the "Archive material with more photos" link to go back to the beginning. All the circuit diagrams, as well as the details of teh diode matrices are available for those who are interested. The latter proved to be much easier to do that I had expected.

Breitefurt will be on shown in Inverness 5/6th September as well as Elgin and Falkirk in November - details on the above webpage.

With best wishes,
Chris.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Chris
Administrator

Well, that's the first exhibition out of the way. One down and two to go!

Everything went reasonably well with a few glitches with power routing and a few tail enders, but no collisions! The exhibition was very busy with virtually no let-up on the Saturday and very little on Sunday. I was exhausted!

If you are interested, you can see some photos from the exhibition on my website at <trains.manvell.org.uk/exhibitions/20090905-Inverness/index.htm>.

All the best,
Chris.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Chris
Administrator

The two exhibitions in November were a bit of a mixed bag. Elgin, the first, was a bit of a disaster with derailments, collisions and plain failures. I could only say that I was tired and lacked concentration. Falkirk, on the other had went really well. You can see photos of Breitefurt and of (almost) all the other layouts at teh exhibition on my website at http://trains.manvell.org.uk/exhibitions/index.htm .

I am now busy making some changes to the track layout (details on my Breitefurt Diary).

All the best,
Chris.

Old 14-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Chris
Administrator

Default Bahnhof Breitenfurt Ost

Hi everybody.

It's been a while. I had a good show at Easter (see my website) and, after a 3 month hiatus, have started working on the scenery. This is totally new territory for me as I have never done anything like it in my life and am not renowned for my imagination. However, the first few tentative steps have been taken and you can see the results on my website. Any constructive criticism would be very welcome. Do have a look.

Also, There have been quite a few additions to my model trains photos, some of some pretty rare stuff (esp. in Z scale).

All the best,
Chris.

PS, please note the change in the name of my layout.

Old 21-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Chris
Administrator

Well, I've started on the background landscape. Woodland Scenics Earth and Green undercoats have been added and the rock faces have been panted with stone grey. It all looks a bit dark but it's only the start. The family are away next week so I will get the layout downstairs and put it on the kitchen table so that I can work on it a bit more easily. So, hopefully, I will have the surrounding landscape and the backdrop ready by the time they get back. I won't be able to plant all the trees as I only ordered (150 of them) yesterday. There's a couple of photos on my site if you're interested.

Best wishes to all,
Chris.