Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 29-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Paul Palmer

Paul Palmer is on a distinguished road
Default hornby coaches

Am I missing something here,why are some Hornby coaches only sold for short runs,i am struggling to get hold of Hornby pendolino coaches and virgin east coast coaches,the latest livery ones at sensible prices,looking on ebay they all seem to fetch/want 50.00 or 60.00 a coach!!!!!,it puts me off buying the locos with only 2 coaches with them
Paul Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

You have actually hit on one of my own pet hates. I even sent a letter saying as such to Hornby Magazine and it was awarded the Star letter prize!

I think it is very clever marketing to hype up the latest niche products then have them only on the shelf for a couple of months. I was going to buy some of Hattons LNER well waggons however after waiting no more than a couple of months I was told they had sold out and had no intentions of restocking them. It would seem to be common practise nowadays. This ensures of course that stock is turned over quickly and always at top prices. Using the latest Chinese manufacturing techniques keeps R&D costs to a minimum enabling a lower number to be produced for the same return as traditional models which had to be produced in far greater quantities to be cost effective.

There is a plus side of course, apart from the availability of high quality niche rolling stock to adorn our layouts, and that is the fact that as everything is now based on very fast turn over if you keep your eyes and ears open you might just catch an end of line item going cheap as they clear out the odd bits of old stock that didn't sell. As examples I have just bought a brand new DJ Models LNER J94 0-6-0 Austerity and a brand new Hornby LNER D16 4-4-0 for the grand total of 124.00 in a Rails Of Sheffield 'Flash Sale'. I have to say that is an extreemly good price for two brand new lovely models.

I sympathise with missing out on your coaches though, you will either have to bite the bullet and spend an unreasonable amount to get what you want, or, as I have recently done, sold off a loco and a set of four coaches as I wasn't prepared to pay the extortionate prices to make up a rake of six.

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 29-05-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

Maybe you should add a heritage line to your layout? RTR Coaches at 17.78, kits at 11.46

https://www.dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gaug...coaches?page=1
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

Annoying it is. But one of the "up" sides to this is that with small runs, a greater amount of stock can be modelled, over a given period. You just have to have your ear to the ground to ensure you get what you want. That and deep pockets. Spare a thought for our great grandchildren, who will have that many more coaches/liveries to attempt to get!
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I also fully understand any modeller who says "No" to buying the new models out today. Yes they are brilliant models but until modellers start saying "No", the prices will go up and up and the ways to extract every extra penny from the modeller will be ever more used then they ever were before.
Who would have guessed that the manufacturers would resort to playing this game on the modellers today? In the past if they tried this along would come another manufacturer and offer a similar product at a better price. The puzzling thing is about today is where are the " Triangs and Jouefs" today? Those who saw the opportunity and took advantage of providing the market with a budget alternative to the competition? In the past, Triang came in and hit big time and Jouef also came in on Triang heels.
Some say that budget models wouldn't sell. They did before so why is anything different today? A wagon retailing for 5 because it has plastic wheels and one piece moulded body, and why not? A coach made in a similar fashion for 10. A budget loco for 35. True, one wouldn't expect perfection, but if they provide a budget answer then why wouldn't they storm the market!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
Bunkerbarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
I also fully understand any modeller who says "No" to buying the new models out today. Yes they are brilliant models but until modellers start saying "No", the prices will go up and up and the ways to extract every extra penny from the modeller will be ever more used then they ever were before.
Who would have guessed that the manufacturers would resort to playing this game on the modellers today? In the past if they tried this along would come another manufacturer and offer a similar product at a better price. The puzzling thing is about today is where are the " Triangs and Jouefs" today? Those who saw the opportunity and took advantage of providing the market with a budget alternative to the competition? In the past, Triang came in and hit big time and Jouef also came in on Triang heels.
Some say that budget models wouldn't sell. They did before so why is anything different today? A wagon retailing for 5 because it has plastic wheels and one piece moulded body, and why not? A coach made in a similar fashion for 10. A budget loco for 35. True, one wouldn't expect perfection, but if they provide a budget answer then why wouldn't they storm the market!
I think in all fairness, all credit to Hornby for having their 'Railroad' rolling stock, which does exactly what you suggest above. The trouble is for me that the LNER teaks do look quite toylike however having said that I have seen some superbly weathered examples so they can be made into high standard models.

What hit me between the eyes recently was when Bachmann announced thier Thompson teaks I was really looking forward to seeing them and starting to collect a few. I was quite shocked to see that they retail for 50.00, which I think is absolutely ridiculous for a coach, however highly detailed it may be.

I completely agree with Mountain Goat, until modellers protest by stopping buying these things the manufacturers will continue to capitalise out of it. Collectively we are our own worst enemy.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Paul Palmer

Paul Palmer is on a distinguished road

all very good replys,and imformative as well
Paul Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

If you think 50 is steep for a coach what about 25 for a small hopper wagon?
Old 30-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
Bunkerbarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
If you think 50 is steep for a coach what about 25 for a small hopper wagon?
I would not buy one of those either!!
Old 30-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

It'd be really interesting to see what they cost to make....
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote