Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 16-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Bobzilla

Bobzilla is on a distinguished road
Default Airfix Royal Scot - help please

I've got an old Royal Scot with the strange old narrow couplings. The subframe for the tender has disintegrated and needs fixing. I can do this with Plastex, but I need an appropriate template to make the moulds.

Having searched on ebay, there seems to be a whole load of later Royal Scot class models, including the remodelled one, but these all take the later larger couplings. There are a handful of earlier models.

Anyone know which other models use the same tender? Or got a spare tender with a complete subframe? Or got an old Royal Scot that they want to get rid of, working or not?

*edit* It's this model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HCG4EIP2g - coupling shown at 4.50 or so, just after coupling to the coaches.

Ta.

Last edited by Bobzilla; 16-05-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Elaine's Trains has a few spare tenders but not sure if she has one specifically for your locomotive. Is worth a look on her website. Look at her spares section.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

There was no change to the tooling when the couplings were changed.
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

I am sure it would be worth getting one of the ones on eBay just to compare and possibly adapt. They are all fairly cheap so you haven't really anything to loose.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
Bobzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parkes View Post
There was no change to the tooling when the couplings were changed.
Thanks - a closer look at the ebay pictures confirms that they just changed the actual coupling itself.

Think I might take a trip to Hattons to take a look at a few - their prices are very reasonable when compared to the ebay auctions. They are very good when compared to some of the BIN prices I have seen.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
Thanks - a closer look at the ebay pictures confirms that they just changed the actual coupling itself.

Think I might take a trip to Hattons to take a look at a few - their prices are very reasonable when compared to the ebay auctions. They are very good when compared to some of the BIN prices I have seen.
I got a tender for my old Hornby B12 (R150) for five pounds of ebay. You just have to keep your eyes open for an auction that no-one else seems interested in and hope you get it for the starting price. I missed a few but got the one I wanted eventually.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Bobzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
I got a tender for my old Hornby B12 (R150) for five pounds of ebay. You just have to keep your eyes open for an auction that no-one else seems interested in and hope you get it for the starting price. I missed a few but got the one I wanted eventually.
It's always the waiting game with ebay. Know what you want, watch what they go for, don't get sucked in to a bidding war, and try and find the listings that others looking for what you want won't find.

I've just picked up 5 spares or repairs tank engines including a smokey joe that needs a new funnel. I have the skills and materials to craft that new funnel. I wanted the smokey joe, I have one of the others and the other three I could take or leave, but I paid roughly twice what I would have paid for the smokey joe to get all 5. One is definitely going to be resold, raising 10-15 for the cause, smokey will be repaired and kept, and I am yet to decide on the other 3. I tend to always buy broken, poor runners or in larger lots. And I always know my limit. I must have bid on 20 eurostars before I got one because I always stick to my limit.