Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 15-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #61
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

A great deal of 'scenic' material can be sourced cheaply, you donít have to buy off the shelf items.
Old 15-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #62
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, tis just when you decide to change things around, which i tend to do, very regularly
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #63
Tarifa Mike

Tarifa Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1951 View Post
Split chassis models are best avoided.
Split chassis are OK but a little care is needed when doing the job. I tend to make drilled connections in the body, soldering to the chassis IMO is not brilliant, although I have soldered copper wire to the chassis for the pick-up connections. Fitting sound is not a problem it being straight forward to fit the speaker in the tender and with the new speakers less work is needed with the tender.IMG_2084.jpg

Hornby Grange Tender with custom speaker.jpg

A couple of photos showing a split chassis hall and a Hornby tender for info.

Mike

Last edited by Tarifa Mike; 15-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Tarifa Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #64
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarifa Mike View Post
Split chassis are OK but a little care is needed when doing the job. I tend to make drilled connections in the body, soldering to the IMO is not brilliant, although I have soldered copper wire to the chassis for the pick-up connections. Fitting sound is not a problem it being straight forward to fit the speaker in the tender and with the new speakers less work is needed with the tender.Attachment 18005

Attachment 18006

A couple of photos showing a split chassis hall and a Hornby tender for info.

Mike
Yes Mike most of us realise all that, but my post was to advise a newbie who has never done any conversions, people need to learn to walk first, running can be learnt later.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #65
Tarifa Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1951 View Post
Yes Mike most of us realise all that, but my post was to advise a newbie who has never done any conversions, people need to learn to walk first, running can be learnt later.
Gosh Brian, sorry I put my head above the parapet. My intent was to show how easy it is to modify models with very little skill involved and particularly as the original post was asking about non DCC ready models.

Mike
Old 15-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #66
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice conversion Tarifa Mike. I have found the easiest way to make holes is with my milling attachments as mini drill bits are not up to the material. The milling attachments seem to do better work though I keep swooping them soon can clean out the clogging on one while the next bit is doing its job.
I need to bore out two holes for my class 03's (One for each loco). I found Mainline locos easier to do then Bachmann as with Mainline one can normally use a screw already located in the chassis to hold a wire along with its normal intended use.
I do agree that this work is not for the feint hearted as it takes patience. Unless I'm just doing it the hard way? It could just be the methods and tools I use!
For most beginners, such things are achieveable but it depends on the individuals mechanical experiences and understanding. If one has to put a difficulty rating out of five, I would give this job a four. Some beginners would handle such projects with ease. Others with great difficulty.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #67
Tarifa Mike

Thanks for the comments Mountain Goat. The tools used were,screw driver, files, mini vice, drill (1.8 and 2.2 mm diameter) and tap (10BA) and a soldering iron. I have threatened myself to invest in a milling attachment but I have not yet taken the plunge.
The loco modifications took time to do particularly filing the chassis recess to give clearance to give clearance between the decoder and loco body. At the same time I polished the wheel bearings in the chassis to give a VG runner.