Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
Teedoubleudee
Senior Member
 
Teedoubleudee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Downham Market
Posts: 3,090
Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Terry windows 7 desktop, Have iPad,but it’s her indoors, who monopolises it,John
It's very simple then John. Assuming the pics on your PC and you know where they are:

Click on "Quote" in reply to this post.
Scroll down the page till you see a box called "Attach Files" and a button called "Manage Attachments". Click on the button.
You will get a pop-up window. Click on the top "Browse" button.
Now use the normal search facility to find the picture file you want to attach. Click on it and it will add it next to the browse button. You can do this for another 3 files using the extra browse buttons.
When you have finished, click the "Upload" button. The files will now appear at the bottom of your post. Close the pop-up window.
Add some text in the post and hit the "Preview Post" button to check it looks OK then submit reply. Job done.

My tip: I tend to use my phone for quick photos these days. I then bluetooth them to my PC, placing them on the desktop. Easy to find there. Pictures are normally too big for uploading to this site so I cut them down using the free PAINT app by about 50% before adding them to my post.

I know it all sounds like a lot of faffing about but once you have done it a few times it really is quite simple. Give it a try
__________________
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
yelrow
Senior Member
 
yelrow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: burgandy france
Posts: 1,059
yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Blue tooth, if I had that I could use my 17 year. Old mobile, in my Volvo. She who must be obeyed would not agree to anything that modern, Will look at computer, john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #23
Teedoubleudee
Senior Member
 
Teedoubleudee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Downham Market
Posts: 3,090
Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road
Default

Do you have a digital camera and means of transferring files to PC via usb or sd card reader
__________________
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #24
yelrow
Senior Member
 
yelrow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: burgandy france
Posts: 1,059
yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Yes I am permitted the use of one of these. Will use when present massive storm abates, John
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #25
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 110
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
That is sound advice Terry. I think it is best to 'creep up' on some of the more complex options while you gain experience. This isn't a hobby where you can start at 'expert' level.

Best advice is to start with adding DCC to a DCC ready loco - you know it will work! Then as your understanding of the subject improves move on to hard wiring and then sound.

Helps avoid the potential for expensive mistakes and disillusionment. I did see a question once - how do I fit a TTS decoder to my N gauge loco?

To take you walking and running comment further, that's the equivalent of running with scissors.
Whereas I would be the first to advocate caution and a careful change over I'm afraid this doesn't lend itself to such an approach.

What would happen is that your locos all get around 35 to 40 pounds spent on them all for a decoder to convert to DCC use. Then, when you go to sound, they all get desoldered and ditched and a brand new DCC decoder with sound plus a speaker has to be fitted, costing around another 110 to 120 pounds. Unless you are happy with sounds that are not in time with rotation, poor quality reproduction and limited functionality. Either way it is more work and an additional decoder.

I would very much recomend you go for an engine all in one go to save cost and work and, to stagger the process, perhaps do them in small quantities at a time.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
Cudworth
Senior Member
 
Cudworth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastbourne
Posts: 725
Cudworth is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Yes I am permitted the use of one of these. Will use when present massive storm abates, John
Quite and easy way to take a picture of your layout and upload it to this forum is on an Android tablet which can also be used to change points on the layout using the Engine Driver app.
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #27
Teedoubleudee
Senior Member
 
Teedoubleudee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Downham Market
Posts: 3,090
Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudworth View Post
Quite and easy way to take a picture of your layout and upload it to this forum is on an Android tablet which can also be used to change points on the layout using the Engine Driver app.
Yep, a tablet is another good option.
__________________
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #28
Teedoubleudee
Senior Member
 
Teedoubleudee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Downham Market
Posts: 3,090
Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
Whereas I would be the first to advocate caution and a careful change over I'm afraid this doesn't lend itself to such an approach.

What would happen is that your locos all get around 35 to 40 pounds spent on them all for a decoder to convert to DCC use. Then, when you go to sound, they all get desoldered and ditched and a brand new DCC decoder with sound plus a speaker has to be fitted, costing around another 110 to 120 pounds. Unless you are happy with sounds that are not in time with rotation, poor quality reproduction and limited functionality. Either way it is more work and an additional decoder.

I would very much recomend you go for an engine all in one go to save cost and work and, to stagger the process, perhaps do them in small quantities at a time.
I was only suggesting to start with non-sound conversions, not updating the whole fleet!
__________________
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #29
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 110
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
I was only suggesting to start with non-sound conversions, not updating the whole fleet!

I think I am missing what you mean. It still seems to me that you are suggesting that you first convert a loco to DCC operation, then, at a later date, convert it to DCC with sound. This means two decoders and two fitting operations.

I cannot see any reason why you would not want to go straight to a sound decoder right from the start and avoid the extra expense and work.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #30
Steve M
Contrarian
 
Steve M's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rochester, Kent
Posts: 3,887
Steve M is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
I think I am missing what you mean. It still seems to me that you are suggesting that you first convert a loco to DCC operation, then, at a later date, convert it to DCC with sound. This means two decoders and two fitting operations.

I cannot see any reason why you would not want to go straight to a sound decoder right from the start and avoid the extra expense and work.
I believe you have misinterpreted what was said.

I did not suggest converting the whole fleet to 'basic' DCC then going back and reconverting them to sound. I was suggesting that new entrants to the hobby would be advised to gain experience and a degree of expertise before attempting a full blown sound conversion with a very expensive decoder.

IMHO inexperience, soldering irons and 120 decoders should not be mixed in the same package.
__________________
I'm not arguing with you, I'm explaining why you are wrong.
Steve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.