Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 11-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
If you are considering DCC with sound then you are into a further raft of considerations as I have discovered after buying up a few older locos before settling on DCC.

Since then I have only purchased DCC ready models and relegated two to a weathered static only display status. Good for practising airbrushing!
Might as well go the whole hog including sound. Love the start ups but struggle a little with the running sounds so not completely sold on it. However, I do see it as part of the upgrade/benefit from DCC.

I may go for full liquidation of the old loco's and start afresh. See how the research and budget goes.

Tks
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #12
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixed Signals View Post
Hi,
Yes not too bad with a soldering iron and have a decent multimeter so good to go.

Glad that these 30 plus loco's I've recently bought can be converted with some care and skill.

Now just need to get the timing right for the extra investment to convert to DCC from the house budget. If not, I will just hide the credit card statements.

Thanks all.
'AY76' has made a number of videos on converting non dcc ready locos. What I got out of it is what you have to do is fit the loco with a socket, but the cunning part is that does not need to be an actual socket, It can be just connectors available as a kit.

I think it is not worth converting your entire collection of locos. Just get decoders for those that have sockets. It's worth having a DCC layout, but it's not worth getting ruined over it!
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #13
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Cudworth makes a good point. I have kept my DC locos DC. I get very annoyed when people convert Hornby Dublo 3 rail locos to 2 rail. This way, you have the best of both worlds, without risk of destroying original locos. They have to run perfectly, before you even consider, chipping them, but give hours of pleasure happily running on DC. I have a DCC layout. completely separate, with locos purchased already converted. Best of both worlds. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Cudworth makes a good point. I have kept my DC locos DC. I get very annoyed when people convert Hornby Dublo 3 rail locos to 2 rail. This way, you have the best of both worlds, without risk of destroying original locos. They have to run perfectly, before you even consider, chipping them, but give hours of pleasure happily running on DC. I have a DCC layout. completely separate, with locos purchased already converted. Best of both worlds. john
To be fair John, not everyone has room for two separate layouts; many struggle to fit one in!

With regard to DCC sound upgrades, my advice to OP would be to start with non-sound conversions first. Walking and running come to mind, just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

That is sound advice Terry. I think it is best to 'creep up' on some of the more complex options while you gain experience. This isn't a hobby where you can start at 'expert' level.

Best advice is to start with adding DCC to a DCC ready loco - you know it will work! Then as your understanding of the subject improves move on to hard wiring and then sound.

Helps avoid the potential for expensive mistakes and disillusionment. I did see a question once - how do I fit a TTS decoder to my N gauge loco?

To take you walking and running comment further, that's the equivalent of running with scissors.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
yelrow

Terry, its not two layouts, its only one. Two tier, DC on lower, DCC, on upper, so in fact, in exactly the same space. Having said that, the third tier is TT, and N, but the actual dimensions are the same, 9x5, feet. I do, of course accept that i have no space restrictions. john
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Terry, its not two layouts, its only one. Two tier, DC on lower, DCC, on upper, so in fact, in exactly the same space. Having said that, the third tier is TT, and N, but the actual dimensions are the same, 9x5, feet. I do, of course accept that i have no space restrictions. john
Sounds fascinating John. Do you have pics?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
yelrow

Many but don’t know how to post them. Had enough probs with my avatar. John
Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Many but donít know how to post them. Had enough probs with my avatar. John
Are you Windows PC or iPad? I can help if the former but know nothing about anything to do with Apple stuff.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
yelrow

Terry windows 7 desktop, Have iPad,but it’s her indoors, who monopolises it,John