Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 08-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road
Default New to N Point question possible dcc all round newbie stuff

Hello all, i'm new to this side of the forum, I feel like i'm cheating on my partner with only just deciding to model N based on my space available.

I am thinking of going DCC route as well, I don't know why but I just never felt like I wanted to with 00.

My layout will more than likely be in an 8x6 ft shed which should hopefully be bought in a couple of weeks.

I may not be able to afford the DCC equipment straight away as I need to buy track and at least 1 loco so I can have some fun running trains.

Also any advice on DCC controller? nothing too fancy but with future plans uncertain of how many locos and future tracks.

If I use electrofrog points do I need to wire them up differently to use them DC?

Plus advice for a beginner in N and beginner in DCC, I would probbly be getting a new GF class 4MT as the 3MT is constantly out of stock in most places.

I know quite a few people say N is too small for them, I also believed this until I saw the layouts people have produced, I also have a bit of younger age on my side, I hopefully have a good 20 years before my eyes and hands get too bad for N.
Hell might still be building this damn shed in 20 years knowing my luck.

I appreciate you guys giving a newbie like me the time of day

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 08-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

You will get as many opinions on controllers as there are makes - I use the Prodigy Express which I am quite content with - can’t and won’t comment on others as I have never tried them. If you can find one go to a shop that is able to demonstrate a number of different controllers and make your choice from there.

Electrofrog points will work straight from the box but do need IRJs on the V rails. They can be improved - read Brian Lambert’s guide.

Be careful with the 4MT from Farish - they have a habit of chewing up their valvegear.

Final bit of advice, N gauge by it’s very nature, works to much finer tolerances than OO, so perfect tracklaying is vital as is keeping the track clean and locos serviced. Focus on DCC ready or fitted locos until you have more experience.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

My experience with N gauge was my dads layout. As Steve said the track needs to be perfect, trains wonít like kinks or lumps.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Paul-H

Paul-H is on a distinguished road

For controller the Prodigy Express is well worth a look

Elecrofrog points as said just use IRJ on the V rails, the DDC friendly mod listed elsewhere is quite difficult to do on N-Gauge, with mine I just left them stock and added Gaugemaster AutoFrog modules to add a bit of assistance.

Don't know about the 4MT reliabilities issue, will find out soon as I have the Tender version arriving any day now.

Instead of the 4MT have a look at the Fairburn Tank, its been in their range a lot longer than the 3/4MT with very few reported issues and it was what the 4MT was based on.

Just use the £20 Zimo decoder as I have found that gives the best results in the Fairburn.

Hope this has been of help

Paul
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
For controller the Prodigy Express is well worth a look

Elecrofrog points as said just use IRJ on the V rails, the DDC friendly mod listed elsewhere is quite difficult to do on N-Gauge, with mine I just left them stock and added Gaugemaster AutoFrog modules to add a bit of assistance.

Don't know about the 4MT reliabilities issue, will find out soon as I have the Tender version arriving any day now.

Instead of the 4MT have a look at the Fairburn Tank, its been in their range a lot longer than the 3/4MT with very few reported issues and it was what the 4MT was based on.

Just use the £20 Zimo decoder as I have found that gives the best results in the Fairburn.

Hope this has been of help

Paul
Thanks paul.

Well I saw the 4mt class tender version in the local model shop, looks like such a good engine.

I like everyone love a good tender but I have a love for the non-tender version.

Is the prodigy express an expensive controller?
I've looked at the power cab, it's not too expensive.

Dcc friendly mod?

Edit:

as I don't have any N gauge track or anything at the moment, which was always my stumbling block when I thought about it in the past, do you think it would be better to get a set? or find a loco and rolling stock and buy track I would use for a layout?

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 09-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Peco flexitrack in yard lengths ( used to be ), way to go. Hattons, good price. You will need to buy joiners. DCC, expensive, more so in N than 00. I run extensive N gauge, but in DC, only. You would also need point springy things for DCC. My 00 is Both DCC and DC. In my personal view with n Gauge, DC, preferable. john That way, you will Not need an expensive DCC controller, and can get it all up and running. Fairly easy to change over, to DCC, as funds permit. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Steve M
Contrarian

What is a ‘point springy thing’ John?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

The clips whot go between the points, whot overheat, I soldered my oo ones, but on the layout I just came by, they were fitted and I had to remove, as not DCC. John
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Peco flexitrack in yard lengths ( used to be ), way to go. Hattons, good price. You will need to buy joiners. DCC, expensive, more so in N than 00. I run extensive N gauge, but in DC, only. You would also need point springy things for DCC. My 00 is Both DCC and DC. In my personal view with n Gauge, DC, preferable. john That way, you will Not need an expensive DCC controller, and can get it all up and running. Fairly easy to change over, to DCC, as funds permit. john
I was thinking of going DC for starters and maybe upgrading to DCC as you say when funds permit.

That being said if I want to go DCC in the future should I still get electrofrog points now? and just isolate the sidings and such? or insulfrog and do mods later or with those clips?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Steve M
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
The clips whot go between the points, whot overheat, I soldered my oo ones, but on the layout I just came by, they were fitted and I had to remove, as not DCC. John
I didnít think that they did point clips in N (and no place for them in OO either). DCC bus and lots of droppers is the way to go.