Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 08-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default Hornby Thompson L1

I recently bought a second hand Hornby Thompson L1 as it was described as unused and was a very good price with the Zimo sound decoder fitted.

When I recieved it I was very pleased with it as it is a lovely looking model. When I tried it on the track however I came acros a number of challenges such as frequent derailments and a refusal to pass through many points. Now I know my track is far from perfect but I have A3s and A4s down to J15s and J50s all of which pass over the track without any challenges.

I did a bit of research on line and was surprised to find that the same issues are fairly common with this particular model and all seem to stem from the very unusual connection to the front pony truck. If you watch it come off a corner the pony truck rarely realigns itself to perpendicular to the track and that seems to be the root of the problem.

I thought I would ask the knowledgeable bunch here if anyone has had a similar experience and how you have gone about rectifying it. I have already tried modifying a spare pony truck by fitting a single pivot to the hole put there for access to one of the body screw heads but that has not been a complete success.

Any experiences would be very much appreciated.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

I have had problems in the past with pony trucks, not the model in question i must add. Some can be cured with a little weight or a spring, if you scroll down the link you will find some methods. http://www.clag.org.uk/41-0rev.html
brian1951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Bunkerbarge

Wow, that is quite a resource! Thanks for the link, I'll have a browse through and see if these is anything relevent.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
brian1951
Super Moderator

This the type of conversion i mean, http://www.dapol.co.uk/pdfs/9Fsprung.pdf i take it you have checked the back to back measurements.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
brian1951
Super Moderator

Richard this may help, scroll down to post 6 http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums...howtopic=25304
Old 08-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough I literally just purchased this model brand new last week. Although I can’t say I’ve had any problems at all with it derailing. I know sometimes some locos are sensitive and derail when others may not and that’s always confused me.

The front pony truck on this model does seem a little loose but I have a Bachmann l&yr tank which arguably is worse and that never details for me either. But I think my track is fairly decent.
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
Bunkerbarge

Being very new to the hobby I have come across the expression back to back many times and assume it refers to the distance between the rear faces of the wheels however I have not been able to find any guidance as regards how it is best to go about adjusting this measurement on a RTR loco with, what I assume to be machine pressed on wheels.

One thing that has surprised me with many of the locos I have is just how much clearance there seems to be across wheels and consequently the amount of transverse play there is on the track.

I'm currently on a steep learning curve!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I am convinced that derailing is firstly caused by bad track and secondly back to back.

Problems on points is usually due to the fact that they are not flat. They have a tendency to bow so a track pin near the centre will improve things no end.

I can honestly say none of my 100 plus locos derail anywhere.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Bunkerbarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1951 View Post
Richard this may help, scroll down to post 6 http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums...howtopic=25304
Thanks Brian, that was one of the posts I read while doing my investigations and which led me to my own modified spare pony truck. I'll take a couple of pictures later. One thing that keeps jumping out at me is the idea of a centering spring, which should be fairly easy to arrange and fit so I might just have a go at that.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Bunkerbarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I am convinced that derailing is firstly caused by bad track and secondly back to back.

Problems on points is usually due to the fact that they are not flat. They have a tendency to bow so a track pin near the centre will improve things no end.

I can honestly say none of my 100 plus locos derail anywhere.
When this particular locomotive comes off a corner you can very clearly see that the front pony truck does not align itself and travels down the straight at a noticeable angle to the track. It will never go through a point like this whether it is perfectly fitted or not.