Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Old 26-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road
Default sweepsticks/tracksettas

I am nearing the time when I'll hopefully be laying some track. Having got some Flextrack I realize that transition curves are the order of the day. I'd wondered if anyone has the above now excess to requirements? The curves anticipated are radius 2, 3 and four. At first a roundy - roundy will satisfy my grand sons (and me!). I'll re-lay the track and add some points, features, scenery and ballast later , I hope.
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to comprehend your requirements. Transition curves are formed with the flexible track. It is a good idea to have a few pieces of sectional track as a rough guide. (A few of each radii will do it. Any rough track in the required radius to copy). Is this what you are looking for?
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Panniertank

Panniertank is on a distinguished road

I have some spare curved 00 track which, for the cost of the postage, you are very welcome to have.

John
Old 26-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
mijj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Trying to comprehend your requirements. Transition curves are formed with the flexible track. It is a good idea to have a few pieces of sectional track as a rough guide. (A few of each radii will do it. Any rough track in the required radius to copy). Is this what you are looking for?
Hi MG and thanks for the input. It's all welcomed here . I am so out of touch with things railway oriented .

Perhaps I have not explained things enough MG. As I said I have some Flexitrack (about 11 meters) as well as the set track that comes with the sets. As I intend to follow the base boards in my other post I'd use transition curves to approach the turns. I'll probably have to soften the corners to the left and right as they are too sharp and derailments would ensue . The Sweepsticks and or Tracksettas will enable this to be achieved more easily.
Jim.
Old 26-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
mijj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panniertank View Post
I have some spare curved 00 track which, for the cost of the postage, you are very welcome to have.

John
I may take you up on that John as I am unsure of my needs at the moment. I have the ovals which come with the freight sets. They are Hornby set track curved and straight and fit on a meter wide board - just (radius 4 or 3?). I have also got 11 meters of Flexitrack. I think I have enough but........you know what thought thought .
Jim.
Old 27-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
I am nearing the time when I'll hopefully be laying some track. Having got some Flextrack I realize that transition curves are the order of the day. I'd wondered if anyone has the above now excess to requirements? The curves anticipated are radius 2, 3 and four. At first a roundy - roundy will satisfy my grand sons (and me!). I'll re-lay the track and add some points, features, scenery and ballast later , I hope.
Jim.
If by transition curves you are referring to a curve whose radius is constantly varying such as a portion of an ellipse or spiral then tracksettas will not do, they are fixed radius just like fixed radius curved track.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

I think it would be better to work out what you need first, then place a wanted ad Jim.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
mijj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
If by transition curves you are referring to a curve whose radius is constantly varying such as a portion of an ellipse or spiral then tracksettas will not do, they are fixed radius just like fixed radius curved track.
Richard
Thanks for that input. I have shown the level of knowledge/ignorance at this end .
What I really mean is that I presumed a corner was gradually tightened if Flexitrack was used, first by using a larger radius - then a smaller radius on the Flexitrack etc. until the corner was rounded. Reversing that procedure coming out of the corner.
Am I incorrect on this?
Jim.
Old 27-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Your 'gradually tightening' description is right and it's just as easy to lay track to achieve it by eye. Use drawing pins to hold the track until you get it right.
Old 27-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Thread moved to more appropriate area.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote