Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 19-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
JAC4472

JAC4472 is on a distinguished road
Default Lima class 33 upgrades

Hi everyone,
First post in the forum and i'm praying someone can help me! I'm currently in the process of respraying and detailing my first loco, namely a Lima class 33 and i've run into a problem. I can't find any suitable buffers anywhere! I'm not sure if it's down to not knowing where to look or if a decent souce of replacements has dried up 😢

I've been trawling through various sites and pages, that have plenty of advice on motors and some on detailing but they're all from ages ago. Can anyone offer some up to date advice or kind words of wisdom to help out a complete novice? I don't want to give up, its just the current buffers look so underscale its makes the whole front of the loco look a bit silly!

Thanks in advance

Jack
JAC4472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

enter 'class 33' in this link and you will get the required service sheet (I think).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloa.../index/cat/48/

But .... it indicates that the buffers are integral with the chassis.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Jack. Try Peters Spares, worth giving them a ring, or eBay.
Old 19-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

I was just about to edit my post:

Try here: Peters spares: https://www.petersspares.com/?searchStr=buffers

Now all you have to do is determine the right ones!
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
JAC4472

Excellent thanks guys much appreciated, i've had a look and found some Markits 22" ones for Diesel locos they're out of stock though damn

Last edited by JAC4472; 19-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 19-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past (Those Lima and the older Hornby buffers were always disappearing when they get caught on something... I'm really surprised that someone does not make direct replacements in plastic) I have resorted to using thin card with a hole punch and it looked OK when painted. One does need to mount it to a buffer shaft of some sort. Plastic buffers are better though. At one time every other model railway shop used to stock them so it is a little concerning the suppliers have dried up, BUT have you tried the Hornby website as the last time I looked they had greatly extended their range of spare parts. A Railroad diesel may have the same buffers as some of them were Ex Lima moulds. Worth a try.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
JAC4472

Thanks Mountain Goat i'll check them out today, out of interest have you replaced the wheels on any Lima locos too? I've had a look at Ultrascales however it would appear they are no good for standard Hornby/Peco track. I had a look for Romford wheels but so far I've only found steam loco driving wheelsets! Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated
Old 20-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I've had many Lima locos and still have a fair few (Most are or have been diesels), I've never replaced wheels on the drive mechanisms as to be honest, once the wheels are clean they run so nicely. OK, they dont crawl smoothly at the lowest speeds, but this isn't too much of an issue for me.
I understand the deep flanges can be an issue so my advice is to (And it maybe a good idea to find scrap wheels to practice on) turn down the wheel flanges. While I have a little Unimat lathe which is only good with softer metals, when I come to wheels I've used it in the same way I've used a minidrill in that I have used it to spin each wheel on an axle, and then I've slowly worked on them using mini hand files. Not very technical but I find it the easiest way as I dont have to deal with swarf. I learnt this trick because I cast myself some wheels out of resin and what happened when using the lathe tool was that the swarf would quickly gather, and then suddenty jam between the tool and the work and gouge out an indent in the wheel as resin wheels are soft. So when I tried using a hand file instead, it was so successful I became lazy!
I do admit though, the only Lima flanges that I have worked on have been a single pair of flanges which I've removed for the 0-6-0 diesel I'm working on in 7mm narrow gauge. This is to help it negotiate the very sharp curves on my little layout.
Romford wheels. I still have my Romford coach and wagon wheels but I've never purchased loco wheels as yet apart from for a locomotive tender. Sadly Romford, and now even Makits who took over from Romford no longer survive. I do not know who has taken over from there.
I hope you have success with your Lima locos. I rate them (Lima diesels... Lima steam locos kind lost their way) highly myself though modern models have left them somewhat behind. I guess modellers are spoilt these days!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
JAC4472

Roger that sounds like an ingenious solution Mountain Goat! Thank you for all your help i'll track down some scrap wheels and have a go! To be honest the 33 i'm working is actually a nice model I've just ordered some Railmatch paints from Howes so with any luck it'll look much improved by this time next week!
Old 20-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Hello Jack and welcome to the site. I am unable to help you as I know so little about railways but it I find it very enjoyable anyway. I do hope you enjoy your stay .
Jim.
mijj is online now   Reply With Quote