Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell

Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building, Scenery or something else related.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

What I would be tempted to do is if the opposite side dont pick up, I'd find a way to get them to pick up. Which side of the wheels pick up on the locomotive side? The tender needs good pickups on the opposite side to this.
It could be like WTD says, that wheels have been changed on your model. Normally, Lima use traction tyres on the cog side of the drive. The tyres dont come off separately to the wheels do they? It could be someone has taken the tyres of the wheels off and put them back on the wrong way around? I dont mean traction tyres. I mean the metal tyres.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 07-05-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #22
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Regarding counterweights on the wheels. Lima were known to do this. Use the same wheels rather then make different wheel mouldings. It was to save costs of production.
An annoying Lima feature on their steam locomotives were that if they had six coupled wheels, the centre wheels were rarely ever connected to the con rods so would not normally be driven. This is on loco drive models.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 07-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Wolfie

Wolfie is on a distinguished road

AHA!!

OK there is continuity between the axles and the geared wheel rims. In which case there is power from one rail going to both sides of the motor! So how do I swap the gear cog to the other wheel?
Wolfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #24
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

You donít. The gear cog is part of the wheel.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #25
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

I just mentioned it in case someone has done this in the past. (Some models metal tyres can come lose from the rest of the wheel and it can be anoying. I've never had it with a Lima loco but I have a 0-16.5 brake van with a Triang plastic chassis with Lima wheels and the Lima wheels metal tyres sometimes come off. These are wheels from a wagon and not locomotive wheels. Is just a theory I was mentioning).
(Dont go taking the metal tyres off... I just mentioned it to check they dont come loose easily and that someone hasn't put them back the wrong way around!)
Regarding the non traction tyres side. This should get current on this side of the tender and the opposite side of the loco part. The energised traction tyres side should be an extra pick up and not the main pickup side. (In other words, the loco should run well even if the traction tyres side of the tender has the wire disconnected).

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 07-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Wolfie

OK this is the state of play.....

The geared wheels are picking up current.

They are passing it to the motor via the pick up on the side of the unit (3rd photo).

They are ALSO passing it to THE OTHER POLE of the motor via the pick up underneath which is sprung onto the axles.

This underneath pick up is also the one which should get current from the loco wheels if I read this correctly.

Clearly this cannot be correct.

Solutions...

Remove the wheels and swap sides. Can't do that cos motor gears are on that side

Remove the side pick up and put on other side. Yes works but could never have been a runner in the first place and also traction tyres on that side must have restricted connectivity.

AND I will have to make sure the motor goes in the correct way round!

Remove the bottom pick up (which looks like it should be there, screw holes in the right places etc) and solder a wire from the metal chassis to the other pole of the motor.

Last edited by Wolfie; 07-05-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #27
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

So I reckon the tyres should be on the cog side and the power should pick up from the non cog side throgh the axle onto the big central brass strip.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
Wolfie

Except that its the cog side thats conducting through the axle....
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #29
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

So if the cog side pick up power through wheel and axle, the non cog side need tyres and need to be insulated from the axle which you said the are.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #30
Wolfie

Not quite. The cog side is picking up power from the RAIL and passing it via the axle and the bottom strip to one pole of the motor.

It is also passing it to the OTHER POLE of the motor via the brass strip on the side rubbing the backs of the wheels