Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > For Sale / Wanted > Wanted

Wanted Add your wanted items here

Old 27-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road
Default Wanted - Pullman restaurant coaches and kitchen coach

As the title says, the above are needed. I am trying to set up an imaginary heritage line (reflecting the 40's/50's). The era I am thinking of will have some steamer locos for the heritage line with diesel shunters. I think that the restaurant and kitchen coaches would be basic requirements but it could additionally have an observation coach. I have minuscule knowledge of these things so suggestions are welcomed . I assume that the livery is the customary maroon and cream (or whatever they called it).
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Have look on ebay there are loads for sale most of the time. Dont be in a hurry, no need to pay too much. Some sellers do like high prices on the bay. Take your time and don't pay too much. Thats my advice when buying anything on the bay. Watch out for the Sharks
Old 27-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Hi mijj - if you are setting up a Heritage line - you could also consider the Bachmann Mk1 Pullman carriages (with lights). You often see a train which has only one Pullman car inserted in the rake - just an idea. BB
Old 27-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

There are some things to be aware of when buying pullman cars. Firstly some models have lights and others do not. Of those with lights some are fibre optic and more recent models have LEDs. Pullman cars supplied with train sets are generally inferior to those sold separately. Railroad Pullman cars are inferior to the rest of the range, but some train sets are supplied with modified Rail road pullman cars which are a bit better. Some very old models of pullman cars are of a shorter length.

The Kent and East Sussex Railway has two pullman cars which are kept at Tenterden Town Station on public display. See YouTube for video to get a clearer idea of the kind of train to emulate.
Old 27-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
mijj

Thanks for that info 4EVP. I was asking from the technical aspect so that's maybe important. If I was buying 2nd hand I presume I'd have to ask which it was. It would be beneficial to have the LEDs I suppose considering their low current requirement. Unless these are fitted only in later coaches.
Thanks for the reminder of the SE&CR. I have had a trip (via the screen) and reminded me of a treat my BIL gave us on his significant birthday. It was a meal on the Pullman from Tenterden to Bodium and back .
Jim.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

The ones with lights will normally be a lot more expensive. That is first give away. The cheaper ones have molded detail on roofs where the more expensive
offerings have better detailing etc; Depends on the size of your pockets at the end of the day. I have a selection of all types in my collection and I think the cheaper ones with no lights are fine for my purposes and I think the more detailed versions are over priced often. Just my opinion you understand.
You pays your money and takes your choice.
John
Old 28-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
mijj

Thanks for the info, it's all grist for the mill here. I presume I'll only want a couple plus a kitchen attached. With the advice given here I think I am better equipped to go searching. Cheers .
Jim.
Old 28-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
Thanks for the info, it's all grist for the mill here. I presume I'll only want a couple plus a kitchen attached. With the advice given here I think I am better equipped to go searching. Cheers .
Jim.
The buffet service operated by Southern region aways consisted of a single kitchen car and mark1 carriages. The only exceptions to this were special excursions, boat trains and the Brighton Belle.

To make up a representative train you only need a single kitchen car.

See

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/Pullman_barbara.htm

Last edited by 4VEP; 28-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
4VEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #9
mijj

Thanks every body. I now have two Pullman (Umber and cream) dining cars with table lights and I think they have a kitchen at the end (blanked out windows). I got them from Amazon.
Jim.