Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 26-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

I would presume that would come under the budget options.
Maybe they were just owned by collectors who displayed them in the box and that's I.

When I stopped using my model railways when I was younger I put my locos in a display case on the wall until we moved house.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 26-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Usually on eBay in the description it will say "been used for display purposes only" or "box showing shelf wear". I have a number of models that have never been out of the box, if I were to sell them, I would describe them "As new". I know several have had "dodgy" deals, but this has nothing to do with eBay, it's the sellers description and honesty. If what you are buying is very cheap, then I think you must be prepared to receive an item that is not necessarily in "mint" condition. I've never been disappointed in the few eBay loco's I have bought (new or as new).
Old 26-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
oncomin5torm

Small update:

I have been doing a vast amount of searching on eBay and Hattons and Hattons have so many and at fantastic prices, yes they may have a defect or 2 here and there, hell I've got a non-runner from the late 50's early 60's which blew up when I was about 10 haha (one day I would like to repair it but at this moment in time I lack the skill)
Its a 4-6-2T with tender, not sure about the class but the name is Princess Elizabeth.
I will throw up some photos when I can.

What I was getting at with hattons is I have found a couple of 'cheap' locos I like the look of, larger locos but not full tender as I am just drawn to them.

Specificlaly an Airfix class 61xx 2-6-2T in BR lined black livery. £22 with mark on the side of the tank.

Then there is a Wrenn Class 4MT 2-6-4T in BR lined black livery. £50 small chip I believe on the footplate.

Yes this one has a tender but I just like how it looks and it would look fantastic going round a layout.
Bachmann Branchline Class 4MT 4-6-0 BR2 with green livery with late crest, seems like a bargain at £51
Old 26-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

There are many out there, some on this forum, that are collectors. They have large collections of locos many of which have never been out of their boxes.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice locos. The Wrenn is the one I'd choose as it is very well made. Wrenn came from the old Hornby Dublo designs. With the modern models we have today having fine detail, we have a general move away from the older less accurate models, so the likes of Hornby Dublo 2 rail, Wrenn and Triang models are at an all time low in prices. Yet how many models do you know can be used on a layout, and still be in use in 50 years time? Now you see what a bargain the Wrenn loco actually is.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

Rails of Sheffield has looked after me well with pre-owned.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

There are some pretty shocking locos on Hattons web site fit only for stripping for spares or possibly with another cobbling together a half decent loco from the two.
Worth looking at sale offers, for example https://railsofsheffield.com/search/...cending&page=2 its not unusual to find a brand new loco reduced to less than that which is being asked for a second hand model. The general advice these days is to avoid Mainline/Replica/Bachmann split chassis locos which includes the Standard 4 4-6-0 you are looking at. Bachmann did introduce an better model (catalogue no starting at 31-115) i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-...wAAOSw1m9atMtI and Hornby have done that loco as well. What track are you using, older models like the Wrenn 2-6-4T may have difficulty as clearances between the running rail and check rails have been reduced over time by Peco. It may be better to spend more on one good loco than spending less on two poor models. A far newer Bachmann 2-6-4T exists while the 61xx is now part of Hornby (although not currently catalogued)
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The 61XX hasn’t been made for many years. It was an Airfix model originally. It was noisy and a bad runner. Dapol are releasing one in a year or so.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 26-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Walkingthedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
oncomin5torm

I've decided right now I am not going to be getting any 2nd hand locos, well no locos at all to be honest.
I am getting a bit ahead of myself to be honest.

I've got a few meters of track that needs cleaning, I also have 4 engines that are in need of a thorough clean as they are jumpy and need a push even on my brand new power track.

I'll always be in the market for some new loco's though, just not right now.
Old 26-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
The 61XX hasnít been made for many years. It was an Airfix model originally. It was noisy and a bad runner. Dapol are releasing one in a year or so.
I had one and mine ran OK. Didnt notice it was a bad runner. It did what I wanted. The bad runners I had were more noticeable so received extra attention. I hardly touched my 61xx, so I can't have had too many issues with it.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote