Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 22-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Not quite, one side has sprung contacts so they can be pulled apart, a nail would need screwing in to hold it.
That's true Steve, I also think the proper connectable blocks are a bit more robust and up to being connected below the baseboard "by touch" when you perhaps cannot see everything.

Quote:
By coincidence, I need to change my connectors so I just ordered ten pairs of 9 pin D sub connectors for around £1.50 a pair. Fortunately, I donít mind soldering.
I have got some of the 25 pin variety kicking about somewhere. I think the varying gauges of wire (DCC bus, lighting bus and servo control wires) might be an issue. I expect the 9 pin variety would be more suited. I'll have a look at some as I can solder for Dorset now :-)

R-
Old 22-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I’ll probably have an expert on in a minute telling me I’m wrong etc. but when I have used D subs in the past I have used 16/0.2 wire (recommended for droppers) as the distance from the plug to the connection under the board is about the same as a dropper.
They fit easily inside the pins for soldering. As my DCC system only puts out 1.5 amps I’m assuming it will be ok - we’ll it has been for the last 5 years.
Another option, assuming that not all pins are needed, is to use two pins(two 16/0.2 wires) for each of the bus wires effectively giving 32/0.2.
Old 22-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

I use D connectors 9, 15 and 25 way exclusively on all our clubs layouts which all have to be packed away after a meeting. So they are regularly plugged together and separated. So far only one has failed and that was due to miss handling. Avoid the HD15 way 3 row D connector like the plague, as its almost impossible to solder wires in easily. All the two row types are easy once the connector is held secure for soldering.
Like Steve, 16/0.2mm wire will fit and solder ok and where higher current is needed or just for additional reliability I double or treble up adjacent pins at the non plug end of the cable. Typical examples are - Common return and DCC Bus pair where several wires are linked. I try and use the first or last ones when doubling up... i.e. 24 and 25 for return and 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 as a DCC Bus pair. It keeps a standard throughout for simpler testing.
If soldering puts you off, consider the D connector 'Break Out' range of plugs and sockets where connections are to screw terminals. Chinese suppliers are a favourite of mine for these. Banggood or ebay and their China suppliers. Examples...
eBay China D connector
Banggood breakout D 25 way
Banggood cased D connector
Old 22-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Steve M
Contrarian

I didnít get shouted at.
Old 22-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
southern

southern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not quite, one side has sprung contacts so they can be pulled apart, a nail would need screwing in to hold it.

By coincidence, I need to change my connectors so I just ordered ten pairs of 9 pin D sub connectors for around £1.50 a pair. Fortunately, I donít mind soldering.
Steve that's what i've done used computer D connecters. 9/24/36 pins With the plastic covers. A lot of soldering but worth it.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
RogerB

Thanks for the input chaps. As I have 24 connections to make across the break (26 if you count the doubled up DCC wires) I am going to go with 2 x 15 pin D sub connectors as per diagram here. This is one set, there will be two like this.

I will connect both sides of the wiring to choc blocks on each side of the board break and the bundle of wires going to and from the D sub connections will be tethered and bound together in some manner (yet to be determined).

How does that sound? R-

Edit: Image is on the small side for me, hope you can see enough of the detail to make sense of it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagrams (D sub and choc block).001.jpg (11.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by RogerB; 22-01-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Image sizing noted after posting.
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Sound like a plan to me
Always allow additional free/unused pins, as at sometime you will possibly want more circuits and if they are there its easy rather than make up another connector.
Old 22-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #18
Steve M
Contrarian

Similar to how I did it, although I used solder tag strips rather than chocblocks.
As you are using two connectors have male/female on one board and female/male on the other then you can’t plug them in the wrong way.
Old 22-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
RogerB

Thanks, both - good idea Steve, will do. R-
Old 22-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
southern

southern is on a distinguished road

Roger go for thr 37 pin as you then have spare tags if you need them. I used cable sleeve to keep the wires neat and tidy.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote