Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 19-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
AndyGWR

AndyGWR is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing wheels on 1974 Hornby GWR Pannier and Albert Hall

Hi all,

I've just joined so this is my first post, so I hope you can help.

I've recently got back into the hobby and am trying to bring my childhood rolling stock up to better standards, namely the GWR 8750 Pannier tank (R041) and the GWR Hornby Albert Hall, both purchased in 1974 for a very happy 10 year old boy.

That would be me.

I should explain I've dived into the deep end, so what started off with the idea of simply cleaning them up, servicing them and then detailing and weathering has turned into major surgery carving off all moulded pipework etc, including removing everything under the boiler to allow daylight through, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

The Albert Hall
I defo would like to change the tender wheels as they are plastic and one is broken anyway, but I'm a bit confused about sizes and pinpoints and tophats.

I'd looked around at how to replace the wheels on the engine as some have a limp and they are probably a scale foot thick but I think I read somewhere (here?) that to do that on my old Albert Hall you need to replace the axles as well and it involved alterations to gearbox and I believe the advice was that it was too much bother. So can anyone advise?

The Pannier Tank
Again can anyone advise how to replace the wheels on these? The middle wheel is flangeless (I guess to be able to negotiate those 90% degree bends that I used on my layout back then) and it looks unusual. I'll be adding brake shoes and the external brake rigging that made these panniers so distinctive, so I hope these wheels are changeable.

Would appreciate any pointers. Thank you.
AndyGWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Footplate will be along soon, this is right up his street.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Have look at this These will fit the Hall Tender
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...gAAOSwll1WxOXI

You will probably find some wheels sets for the Jiny but you may well find a complete loco or chassis use the wheels from.
If you cant find any will have look around later for you. John
Old 19-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

I don't know if you mean the early type like these....................... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-HORNBY-...0AAOSwEEBaTj6k

If not a R number will help. John
Old 20-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
AndyGWR

Thank you, yes the 3 without the flange in the middle wheel are what I'm starting with. The width of garden rollers aren't they? I'm hoping to replace them for something a little finer
Old 20-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
AndyGWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
I don't know if you mean the early type like these....................... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-HORNBY-...0AAOSwEEBaTj6k

If not a R number will help. John
Sorry I should have said: it is the R041 pannier in GWR livery
Old 20-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
AndyGWR

Quote:
Have look at this These will fit the Hall Tender
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...gAAOSwll1WxOXI

You will probably find some wheels sets for the Jiny but you may well find a complete loco or chassis use the wheels from.
If you cant find any will have look around later for you. John
Thank you so much! I have just bought those. I'd never have figured out those would fit my tender so thanks for passing that experience on
Old 20-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

If you want spares it is getting harder for the older models these days as a lot of them are becoming harder to get.
When you want something the best way to approach it I find is to do quick google search after finding the old part number from a old service sheet. These will start with a letter such as S.L. or X if you get the idea. Then search the number. searching a discription is very unreliable way to do it. you need a part number.. Hornby is the easiest stuff to find because they produced so many service sheets for all their locos. (well most)
You will often identify older locos R numbers by searching Hornby collectors site. Unfortunately this was updated be an Australian chap and it was only up dated till 2011. so it is not any help for the newer models since 2012 onwards. You will also find most of the service sheets all in one place on there as well. Hope this helps John

Last edited by Footplate1947; 20-01-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: adding details
Footplate1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
AndyGWR

Quote:
If you want spares it is getting harder for the older models these days as a lot of them are becoming harder to get.
When you want something the best way to approach it I find is to do quick google search after finding the old part number from a old service sheet. These will start with a letter such as S.L. or X if you get the idea. Then search the number. searching a discription is very unreliable way to do it. you need a part number.. Hornby is the easiest stuff to find because they produced so many service sheets for all their locos. (well most)
You will often identify older locos R numbers by searching Hornby collectors site. Unfortunately this was updated be an Australian chap and it was only up dated till 2011. so it is not any help for the newer models since 2012 onwards. You will also find most of the service sheets all in one place on there as well. Hope this helps John
Thanks again footplate I appreciate your advice for any future parts that may be needed later , however my question wasn't so much seeking original replacements as (aside from the missing chuffer box in the tender) both the hall and the pannier are complete.

I'm just hoping someone can suggest finer wheels that I could replace the originals. I've seen various companies provide fine wheels but I have no idea what to ask for and if it is even possible? Maybe I'm aiming too high do you think?
Old 20-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Far as I know Andy the chuffa boxes in the tender are very hard to find and you would be lucky to find one which has not fallen to bits these days. As for replacement wheels finer profile. Tell me are using code 100 rail. If so then you should not have any problem with the wheels you purchased to repair the present one you spoke of. they should be ok on code 100. I would try it out first before spending money on 2 locos which are of quite modest value.