Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > O, G & other large scales

O, G & other large scales Large scale model railway topics

Old 19-11-2017, 01:27 AM   #11
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

You're welcome. I model in this scale using 00 gauge wheels and chassis etc. It is quite easy to scratchbuild once you have some tools and work out the easiest ways that work for you. To save costs I am making my own couplings. It is not too difficult. I find 7mm scale a nice size to scratchbuild and kit build and as it is narrow gauge, if I keep to small locos and dont use coaches or waggons that have wheelbases that are too long, I can turn 180 on a 2ft wide board. This enables me to keep modelling in a small space and to a reasonably tight budget.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Here's a nice one in a small space.

https://youtu.be/l45hpcCTrEw
Old 19-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #13
londonbridge
Random Modelist

londonbridge is on a distinguished road

Thanks again MG. I like that! On30 again. But much the same as Oe?

PS.. What HO track lets you to turn 180 degrees in 2ft? I thought 4ft was the usual diameter?

Last edited by londonbridge; 19-11-2017 at 11:24 PM.
londonbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #14
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

00/H0 track and 0-16.5/0e/0n30 track all have the same gauge width so it is possible to run the same loco on all of them.
USA and EU have H0 and we have 00. These are slightly different scales but share the same gauge.
It is similar with 0 gauge in the narrow gauge form where the USA version which is 0n30 and the UK version, which is 0-16.5, and the EU version which is 0e all run on the same track but there are slight differences in scale, though apart from the USA prototypes being a lot larger to start with, there is not a huge difference between them.

Back to track. Peco do flexible track in 00/H0 form and in 0-16.5/0n30/0e form all using the same width, and in some cases the same height (Known as the code. Code 100 is what Hornby make. The higher the code the higher the rail height is).
Now Peco sell decent flexible track in most scales and gauges. Flexible track is designed to bend and can be bent quite sharp, though understandably, there are limits.
Flexible track comes normally in yard lengths (About 90cm) and for most uses is cut to the desired length. Railjoiners (Fishplates) are to be purchased seperately. Obviously when the rails are curved, the inner rail will appear longer then the outer rail. Sometimes the track needs jiggling about a bit to make it line up where it needs to go.
It is possible to use a single yard length of flexible track to turn a full 180 to fit on a 2ft wide board.
You can either use 00/H0 flexible track or buy 0-16.5 track. The difference is the scale of the sleepers as 0-16.5 track has thicker sleepers and they have a greater spacing due to the larger scale they are designed for.
Both 00 and O-16.5 track come with code 100 rail height, the same as a Hornby trainset, and both share the same 16.5mm gauge as does the Hornby trainset.

I will add a PIC of my layout. The track rails are made from 00/H0 Peco track and I changed the sleepers by soldering on strips of PCB (Printed circuit board) which I had cut to size and soldered into place. I also added a checkrail to the tight curves.
I would say to use Peco O-16.5 flexible track for the sharp curves as it is much easier and quicker then using the method that I used. For hidden sidings behind the scenes use spare 00 gauge track from Hornby etc,and either use 0-16.5 track for the scenic places or use standard 00 gauge track and ballast it heavily to hide the smaller sleepers, unless you dont mind smaller sleepers. I hope this helps.
(Ignore the home made diamond crossing going through the curve. The curve is basically 00 gauge Peco track with new homemade sleepers. See the plastic sleepers which I cut off bit at a time when I soldered the PCB sleepers on instead).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171027_165912.jpg (278.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171022_200505.jpg (338.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 20-11-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 21-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
londonbridge
Random Modelist

MG, you have encouraged an experiment by me. So I have ordered a bit of Peco 0-16.5 flexible track. Let you know!
Old 21-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #16
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

You can easily mix 0-16.5 with 00 if you run out of 0-16.5 track.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with. You will likely find you will often be thinking of various ideas and plans to make something to run on a layout. It is as easy or as complicated as you want to make it.
The cheapest way I've found is to get one of the cheap Hornby 0-4-0's, but try to get one that has external cylinders with piston rods if you can, as most Smallbrook kits (Not all) need this type of chassis.
The cheapest way though is scratchbuilding using one of these 0-4-0's, or any other suitable loco as a donor loco. It usually involves making a new cab and a longer chimney, though many industrial steam locomotives had no cabs. This could make it easier but one may need to add more little details like a pressure gauge and various controls like throttle handle and handbrake etc.a quick study of other peoples work, or a prototype loco may help.
Wagons are actually easy to make if you just want something simple and easy to begin with. The easiest way is to convert a 00 gauge short wheelbase wagon, though you will soon be looking to make something a bit more complicated. Some of my waggons are old Triang coach bogies converted with new couplings and a body fitted. I have since changed wheels on them, though Triang wheels will do. A small piece of wire in between the centre of the axle to keep the wheels in a slightly wider position can help their flanges line up better to modern track.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 21-11-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
londonbridge
Random Modelist

Thanks MG. Yes it will be interesting what I come up with! I'm more interested in fun, rather than cheap.

This attached photo is the base stock now. I will go super simple as an experiment. A 'pizza' layout I think they are called?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171122_001142[1].jpg (799.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 22-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #18
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Those will be ideal. If you find the couplings dont like sharp curves (They should be OK), just take a single hook off one end so there is just one hook in use.
Smallbrook Studio do a couple of kits which you can use with that loco.
Look at their loco called Aura on the 0e 7mm narrow gauge section.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 22-11-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #19
londonbridge
Random Modelist

Ta MG. Let you know!
Old 23-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
londonbridge
Random Modelist

Well the O-16.5 track arrived today from Hattons. Excellent delivery information. I wish all online shops used DPD for delivery.

The track has a lovely look and tactile feel. Hope I can do something with it .

I did build a new baseboard today. 4ft x 3ft. I've not much of a track layout as yet, but there is an idea notion...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171123_200443[1].jpg (663.8 KB, 14 views)