Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Product Review

Product Review A place to give open and honest reviews of new or older model railway related products. Please observe forum rule 6 when posting.

Old 21-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

AviatorAtHeart is on a distinguished road
Default Wow talk about customer service

I'm not gonna stand here arguing with you I just haven't got the time!

That's the response I got from railway scenics!

Wow,
Some of the wire I was sent which should have been 32/0.2 is actually far less superior 22awg. I tried to be reasonable in my approach to the situation and was presented with that reply.

Less than impressed, on a big heavy gauge layout that could have caused a fire.

My initial approach was it's a simple error no worries but perhaps it could be a major concern if it was under the layout and went unnoticed.......
After a bit of polite back and forth.......see line 1.

Less than amused.

You can only drink so much lemonade
AviatorAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

In an age when word of mouth is superseded by forums such as this one, that's a disgusting attitude. Think I'll be giving them a wide berth when shopping in the future.
Old 21-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I've never used them and that won't be changing.
Old 21-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
dtb
9C Macclesfield

dtb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the headsup, I have been checking out their website recently and have bookmarked it also. I am also in need of bus wire but will look elsewhere.
Old 21-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Sorry chaps.

The thing is, I am 100% certain that the wire came from this place as I've never ordered a 2m length of wire ever.

At first, we don't sell it.
Then it's impossible to see how they pulled 2x10M from the 32/0.2 and 2M 22awg from another roll.
(So you do sell it!)

At which point I explained, it will probably do no harm in the box I was currently making but under the layout (especially a high powered one) it would be serious cause for concern.
I was just pointing out the error, I wasn't looking for replacement either. Just a QC issue.

Then I got an earful of I haven't got the time.
Which is a shame.

I didn't even pay attention to the delivery proper, just that I had X amount of rolls that look roughly the correct length and colour, but when I was stripping it, it felt slightly thin in the fingers, so I counted the strands. Then made the call.

Anyways, I'm still sort of happy because I made a box with switches on, using the wire.

Old 21-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
scratchbuilt

scratchbuilt is on a distinguished road

Looks like a one man business working from home.......
scratchbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say I've had some good customer service and at the same time some customer service so bad that if they were working for an employer I've worked for they would have had the sack there and then.
On the positive side, I've had business owners or staff going way beyond what I expected where nothing was too much trouble even if one didnt buy!

The worst of the bad customer service in an actual model railway shop was from a well established West Glamorgan model railway shop which the owner went absolutely buzzerk in a fit of rage when a customer of his who was patiently waiting to be served (As I was) started chatting to me and wanted advice. All I said was to wire up point motors was an easy job to do and to ask the guy who runs the shop if he has one of the Peco booklets they publish (As he is a Peco dealer).
It was one of the only times I've been thrown out a shop. I almost gave up on model railways after that event.
I forgive him but I'm in no hurry to go back.

Another time was a DCC manufacturing company who when I first went to buy into DCC I had phoned up. They had big adverts then every month in the magazines. I phoned up to enquire and the man said that he had just taken over the business and as they were not ready to get the production ready, would I give them a few weeks and phone back. I decided to wait a bit longer to give them a chance to sort things. About a month and a half later I phoned and this time a lady answered. I could hear the same factory noise in the background. I just started to ask if I could buy their DCC controller and the lady started shouting at me down the phone using very colourful language. It was so colourful and shocking I couldn't fathom why she was so angry! The words I did get were "Would you stop phoning..."
II can only guess someone had really wound her up before I had phoned her?
I was shaking a bit after that, so when I picked up the courage to try using the phone again I decided to try another manufacturer. I had two to chose from. Lenz (German made) and Digitrax (USA made). I decided as Lenz had a UK supplier and Digitrax didnt, and the Lenz supplier was in Scotland (I had in a previous job spent many a happy hour phoning the staff in the main office in Scotland with another company so I felt safe phoning Scotland!), so I phoned them up. The guy at McKay Models couldn't have been nicer. It seemed nothing was too much trouble to ask and he was trying to advize me I didnt need to spend as much as I did! (I wanted to spend and buy the best as I had the money to in those days!) It is a real shame the business is no longer running as it was a delight to deal with him.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 21-09-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #8
AviatorAtHeart
Don't ask, I don't know!

Well that just about sums it up MG!
Earlier I was so disgusted I didn't even want any of that wire on my layout.

I guess that's the way the world is. Granted a bad day happens to the best of us, but there are better ways of dealing with things.

What makes it worse, I was merely pointing out the fact. No aggression not even vaguely angry. And all over a piece of wire that cost 90pence.
Nothing at all. I wasn't pushing for a return, refund or replacement!

So far though (and I'm merely a beginner) I've had a good run!
I have a few good train type suppliers under my belt.

Now I'm indifferent.
Worst case, it could've caused a fire. That's my major point.

Old 22-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

It is an important issue, especially with DCC as it supplies heavier currents at a constant voltage so the wires dont have the chance to cool down if they are not up to the job.
I'm also surprised the business owner didnt decide to give you a short length of the correct wire to keep your custom as it does not cost much to him but your custom (And those who would have purchased with him but decided not to) has the potential to make or break his business. Just to simply be concerned or say "Did I?" when you told him he had sold you the wrong wire makes a difference as it diffuses any argument and he may even have you buying another piece if he had been polite and kept his cool.
One of the things I've noticed with those who have started small businesses is only some have ever done any retail training, and it really shows. It is very different from business training. Even more surprising is how many working in large retail stores have not a clue how to conduct themselves when it comes to how to treat customers, how to stand, how to get the right information from the customer to direct them to the most suitable product without being forceful or manipulative.
The customer should buy the product rather then have the product sold to them. Letting the product sell itself is a good approach to take.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 22-09-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
southern

southern is on a distinguished road

I have used Railway Scenics A lot over the years with NO problem. All way's found him helpfull . We now use him for most of the clubs wire and switches.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote