Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Product Review

Product Review A place to give open and honest reviews of new or older model railway related products. Please observe forum rule 6 when posting.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
z4pQ37p

z4pQ37p is on a distinguished road
Default Hornby Peckett, J50 and Q6

Hi, I recently bought the following modern Hornby 00 gauge models: a Peckett, a J50 and a Raven Q6, and I am very impressed and pleased by the looks etc, very nice models.

But.

I am not impressed by neither the running qualities of these models nor the fact that Hornby puts a huge amount of grease and oil in them which makes disassembly a not very nice job.

Regarding the running qualities, both the Peckett and the Q6 tend stall themselves randomly due to the design of the connecting(coupling?) rods meaning that the loco can stall itself anytime if the rods gets into bad positions and lock the wheels.

The J50 does not have the problem with locking connecting rods, but the driver wheel i.e. where the motor drives, does wobble a lot which is clearly visible and also it affects the running since the locos motion on the track is pulsating along with the driver wheel.

Anyone else having the same experiences as I do?
Where can I buy replacement connecting rods, preferably solid rods with smaller tolerances?
The current design with linked connecting rods along with quite a lot of play in the axle mounts, is not working very well.

Regarding the oil and the grease, why does Hornby put those amounts inside these engines?
When I disassembled the Q6 I found oil everywhere: inside the boiler, inside the pistons etc.
Is this really necessary?

The fun part is that in the instructions sheet it is clearly stated where and how little oil the model should have, how come that Hornby has oiled and greased the model for its entire lifetime?
z4pQ37p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you should return them to the retailer from where purchased or to Hornby if not brand new. Though you need to get a returns number from Hornby first.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I'm amazed, I have these 3 locos the Peckett being Huntley and Palmer. They all run superbly. Not a sign of any grease at all. I'm sorry yours are disappointing. Can't understand about the grease, I've never come across this before.

Are they all brand new?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
Mike Parkes

Mike Parkes is on a distinguished road

Why did you disassemble them? Given the running qualities of Hornbys locos is usually spot on are you sure you have reassembled them right - have the coupling rods got bent?
Mike Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

I wonder if these were 'new' when bought or had been passed through a third party beforehand, the OP doesn't specify how or who from he bought them from.

My own experience with Hornby (and Bachmann) models purchased direct or through one of the reputable dealers has been excellent, I had one item (out of many dozen purchases) bought from the Liverpool supplier which had sustained some damage in transit, it was returned and replaced very promptly. Like WTD I too have all the three mentioned and they are all excellent.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
z4pQ37p

I disassembled them because they where running bad and sending them back to the UK from Sweden, well I could have but I did not.
The J50 performs good enough so I will not open it up.

The Peckett actually runs fine now, except from that the piston connecting rod mechanics still occassionally get to close to each other and lock up the running gear.

They where bought brand new from a UK retailer except the Peckett which I found unused om Ebay.

But, my theory is that solid connecting rods would solve the problem since I think it is the slack that builds up in every connection point/joint (there are quite a few on the Q6) that creates the running problems that I have especially on the Q6.

So, is there any manufacturer of solid connecting rods that might have a working solution for me?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I think you'll find they are in sections for a reason.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
z4pQ37p

Yes I do, but with all the play that comes with that design I would say it is very sensitive to any misalignment that might occur while running.

However, I do really like the looks of these models so I will find a solution