Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 14-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #21
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Phew thatís OK then. I had an attack of the vapours.
Old 14-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Its an age thing. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #23
mcleod4569

mcleod4569 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
My apologies you are quite right, I am sure there will always be a place for DC systems for Train Sets. The fact that a question was being asked here as regards the benefits of both suggested to me that perhaps something a bit more sophisticated was being considered. I should have asked.

As has been said earlier though and which I think we all agree on, it is up to the individual which way they decide to go. All we can do is provide open and objective feedback on the possible options.

As regards the comment:

"anyone who says DCC is as cheap as DC is not living in the same world as me" I cannot exactly see where that was said. What was said was "DCC does not have to be any more expensive than DC if you so choose".

It is so very individual with many variables involved that it would be almost impossible to compare one with the other however I still think you can control the cost to keep it within a relatively small percentage of a DC set up. When rolling stock, track, scenery, baseboards and anything else could also get thrown into the mix I'm fairly sure the difference between a very basic DCC set up and a DC set up has to be negligiable.

In fact the more I look at the Hornby page the more interesting it becomes. The Hornby basic DCC controller can handle ten locomotives at one time, independently, and sells for £121.99. The HM2000 DC twin controller retails for £116.99 and will control two locomotives on seperate pieces of track.

Add a basic decoder for each loco and I think it would be unfair to say there is a huge difference in cost.

I hope James is not more confused that when he first asked the question!
Wow it seems I have sparked off quite the debate!

Years ago when I was younger I had bunch of Hornby stuff and a few Bachmann bits and pieces too. I never fixed the track down but put it away when I had finished with it. When using the track and engines I would just plug the controller to the mains and then into the connector which went into the track - train set style as I think I have read above.

I assumed that I would be able to have a similar set up with an N Gauge system, except this time with the track fixed down to a board. Is this possible? Because I would rather not do any complicated wiring. I was planning to operate points by hand.
mcleod4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #24
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

I would think a DC controller might be the best option for you.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #25
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Mc, your assumption, is fine. You can do exactly that. It is what i have, on my first n gauge layout. You have a choice of makes. I have the Hornby Arnold set, excellent value for money. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

A small point I forgot to make. With N gauge you need small decoders, and small decoders tend to cost more the last time I bought the things (When I needed small decoders for 00 gauge locos which didnt have much room inside).
This isn't to sway your decision one way or the other. It is just a small point to make. Also, while N gauge has successfully entered I to the realm of DCC, it may not be possible to convert a few older N gauge locos to DCC due to lack of space for the decoders or due to the designs of the chassis.
While my venture into N gauge was brief and before the days DCC came on the scene, I can say there are a few (Not many) older 00 gauge locos that are impractical to convert to DCC. I would imagine for N gauge there maybe a few more where they dont have the room or the design is such that it is not practical to convert.
If buying an all new fleet in N gauge then this won't be an issue as most new locos will be designed with DCC in mind.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #27
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

I do agree with walking The Dog in a statement he said which is something I personally like. Clunky toggle switches. The larger type. There's something lovely about switching these. I dont know why, but when I went into DCC, I really missed throwing those switches!
I never ventured into using the DCC system to throw points as to me, you can't beat a simple stud and probe method for throwing point solenoids. Everything is there in front of you on a mimic track diagram painted onto a control panel. The cost and the extra operating complication of each point needing a DCC address didn't seem worth the money to do it, while the change to DCC to operate the locos made more sense.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #28
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

I think suzie said it well, DDC offers features that can not be achieved on a DC layout, sound and lights of a train waiting in the passing loop, and also being able to bring two locos onto the same piece of track. For a small layout the wiring is about the same, DCC your needing to put feeds to sidings to keep them live, DC you need to put switches in to sections to isolate them.
as for cost, well its not a cheap pastime really anyway.
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #29
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
I do agree with walking The Dog in a statement he said which is something I personally like. Clunky toggle switches. The larger type. There's something lovely about switching these. I dont know why, but when I went into DCC, I really missed throwing those switches!
I never ventured into using the DCC system to throw points as to me, you can't beat a simple stud and probe method for throwing point solenoids. Everything is there in front of you on a mimic track diagram painted onto a control panel. The cost and the extra operating complication of each point needing a DCC address didn't seem worth the money to do it, while the change to DCC to operate the locos made more sense.
MG, Ive a track plan mimic on railmaster, I click the point I want and it throws it and shows which way it is set, several points can programmed to switch together for cross overs etc even if they are far apart, and then you can build sequences so that a route can be set. it also sets them all to the start position on start up which is handy, but yes adds about 8 pounds per point for the decoder channel
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #30
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the possibilities of what can be done, but for me is personally rather do the same by setting up a diode matrix to set several points at once via any selected route one has chosen. The thought of using my tablet or a computer device to operate my trains doesn't appeal to me so much. Maybe its just me.

I think it is because I prefer something more physical to hold then using a touch screen.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 14-06-2018 at 11:59 PM.