Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 19-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

My take on this question as to which kits to use either card or plastic is dependent on if the lay out was to be built in an out side location such as loft or garage. Depending of course how well the building has been prepared for building the layout.
If nice and dry either card or plastic. If dampness in a problem in say an unlined shed then I would go for plastic.

Last edited by Footplate1947; 19-05-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: missed word out.
Footplate1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #22
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very sensible Footplate.
I have been told that if one scratchbuilders from card, then if one uses card from freezer food products, it has a coating to protect it against dampness.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #23
hallrailways

hallrailways is on a distinguished road

In card to avoid some of the warping problems with card more so in big or structures in card which have a lot of cut outs its best to make floors inside, use beams and also if you can use a box internal format that will help make it as strong and rigid. in kits use every bit of card and in plastic even spure frames cut up can make useful items as well as help improve plastic kits rigidity
hallrailways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #24
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I still have several Superquick card building that lived on a loft layout for nearly 30 years in some pretty extream temperatures, and they are in perfect condition if not slightly dusty.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #25
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
I still have several Superquick card building that lived on a loft layout for nearly 30 years in some pretty extream temperatures, and they are in perfect condition if not slightly dusty.
I expect lot of people have. I still got one left over from my loft layout in 1975 but I think it is about ready for the bin now.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #26
Malcolm 0-6-0

Malcolm 0-6-0 is on a distinguished road

When I built my first layout (about 40 years ago) cardboard was the principal medium for most modelling of buildings etc. with suitable strong internal bracing. I was then and was afterwards principally modelling in plastic (aircraft kits) so I suppose I had a sort of mindset regarding the differences in surface depiction possible. However back then I found that I could create convincing scale structures using cardboard and cartridge paper with either printed or hand painted detail as required. My foray into model railways was cut short by the intervention of real life things like job changes, family matters etc.

When I returned to railway modelling about 4 years ago I came from a long term hobby interest in modelling aircraft kits. So I had lost touch with the possibilities of card as a modelling medium. I had intended to use plastic (Evergreen etc.) or kits (Ratio etc.) for my structures but a giveaway Metcalfe model that came with an issue of Railway Modeller plus the many splendid articles in MRJ reawakened my interest in card whether as a basic medium or in the various kits offered. Frankly I'm happy to have a mix of card and plastic depending on what is available for the subject I need, and to combine that with scratchbuilding things that aren't available.

I greatly admire the scratch building done by really fine modellers and would like to be able to do the same, however needs dictate that one must settle for for what one's skills can actually deliver. Yes card structure can look 2 dimensional at close quarters but in OO this is not readily apparent and if the kit or scratchbuilt model is dressed up with features made from plastic or resin etc. then that tends to remove the 2 dimensionality some complain of. Plus the use of layering of card will also help.

To my mind there is a place for most forms of materials used on a layout - but I admit to finding the ready to plant cast resin buildings etc. rather lumpy and lacking subtlety - but that's probably just me. I have replaced two I did purchase with plastic structures because of the range of added detailing these offer. My main goods shed is scratchbuilt using Evergreen and on a smaller siding the coal merchants platform is all balsa planking combined with a roof to the shed made of Evergreen. Nothing replicates wood like wood.

Currently I've just finished putting together a small factory using the Metcalfe card kit as the basis with extra buildings and ancillary structures like tanks, chimney etc. in plastic sourced from a variety of suppliers - the ultimate effect I hope to achieve is crowded utility. I reckon there's a place for most modelling materials - the only barrier being how developed one's skills are. My terrace houses are scratchbuilt using card and paper. But mixed among them will be Metcalfe and Superquick models as well.

I suppose in the end it's up to the individual just how far they want to go without losing sight of the fact that its meant to be enjoyable rather than a test of character
Malcolm 0-6-0 is offline   Reply With Quote