Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > N Gauge

N Gauge N Gauge model railway topics

Old 25-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
joe2003

joe2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner Set from parts...

Hi

I am trying to convince myself to order my first N-Gauge "set" for my return to the hobby. I haven't found any N Gauge sets that I like the look of. I was planning on ordering the Peco ST-300 track set and a Kato SD70ACe. Would I be able to use my Hornby DC controller with this setup to get going?

I wanted to eventually purchase a DCC controller and decoder, but that would be later on.

Thanks
joe2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Your hornby controller will work, but not the best of controllers, the kato sd70ace is not due out till later this year and the peco starter pack is cheap enough at 46.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

@Joe2003.......have you looked at the Arnold range on the Hornby web site.......nice quality kit if you like continental models......some are DCC ready and some DCC fitted......HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 of Hornby / Lima ones’ excellent. Worth a look. John
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to use DC, then you can't really go wrong with a Gaugemaster Combi. I've never had one, as I've always had some of the more powerful controllers in their range, but those who have had them have loved them. I do have a set with a newish Hornby controller and though it works OK, it is a bit too weak for anything other then the little 0-4-0's, but maybe OK for N gauge use. However, it is so frustrating to use as a controller as it is too safety conscious. One has no indication of when the overload cut out has tripped other then ones power has shut off. Then one has to turn the controller off at the mains and wait 25 seconds. (Trying to trace a recurring fault on ones track can take ages due to this). Also there is a safety mechanism so one has to turn the controller back to the zero position before one can change direction which to be honest, is very frustrating to use.
There are some lovely controllers out there. For N gauge my gut feeling is to use DC as one has a greater choice of secondhand and new models to run, but if you love the extra features DCC has, then DCC it is! It is your choice.
The only recommendation I have when it comes to DCC, is to buy into a system that is expandable. If you can't add extra handsets or boosters as needed you may find you will be spending again for another system when you've outgrown it. (Buy sensibly and it will be there for you for many years). However budget controllers do tend to be less complicated and therefore easier to use. Swings and roundabouts!

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 25-04-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
joe2003

joe2003 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help

I ended up buying the M2 set from Kato, and won an ebay listing for diesel loco.
joe2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how it goes.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote