Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 22-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road
Default Station Building - WIP

It is a laser cut 3mm plywood kit I found on ebay.
It is perfect for the space I have available for my station building.
Comes with a small entrance step too.

This is the company In The Greenwood

This is as far as I will get until I paint the inside with apropriate colours for my station building.

It will be finished in a suitible red for the external bricks and I think a nice cream or beige interior, with a slate roof.
The buildings of that period (my old house for example) were slated roof in this area.
Primarrilly ffestiniog slate too.

I am thinking I may wire up some lighting for it in the future, just a warm white LED into the bottom of the building, nothing fancy.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 22-04-2018 at 08:33 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 02:31 AM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice. In my area only later houses had slate from North Wales. The older ones here started as stone or thatch, then came corrugated iron over the thatch and the thatch became an excellent insulator, then cams slate which was from Pembrokeshire. This slate had a beautiful light blue colour to it. Later years the North Wales slates started to make inroads into this area with the various darker shades.
One issue with the older houses, is that when they came to renew the Pembrokeshire slates and fit modern tiles, some roofs started to sag as the tiles tended to be heavier.
Another difference to our older houses round here were for many generations they were whitewashed. This would be done every few years when the houses had just been built, but then every twenty or so years once a thick coating had been developed. This gave most houses a pleasing faded yellowy finish, very unlike today's listed properties with their immaculate white coloured whitewashes. The other difference was that older wooden windows and doors were painted with leaded paints which had colours you just can't replicate today. I did think it was the old photographs had faded, but no, when I brought it up in conversation and I look back to my childhood memories, the paints definitely looked different to today's paint colours!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

'look back to my childhood memories' MG. Blimey youíre only 45
Old 26-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
oncomin5torm

Update on the station, my paint arrived yesterday when I was in work.

I have given the inside of the rooms a coat of cream humbrol 103, not much different to the wood itself but it now means they are uniform in the shade.

I have used humbrol 70 which is apparently brick red, but I found it just to be brown.
So I mixed the humbrol with some red paint I have from a local craft shop and the result is the photo.

I will be weathering it as well, some white dry brushed as the bricks on our old house (GWR built same area as my layout) had white specs, I believe lime?

I have got some warm white 1.8mm LED's on order so that's why the roof has not been finished yet, I want to have 3 inside the building, one in each room, and one in the corridor.
My first major wiring project, I intend to have the wires go up through the base of the building and I'll paint them so you don't see a bright green or black wire in the corner

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 26-04-2018 at 08:08 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
'look back to my childhood memories' MG. Blimey youíre only 45
Haha. Way back when I was a lad....
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Iím still a kid MG.

Building looks very good. Well done
Old 28-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
oncomin5torm

I have got all my bits and bobs for my station building now.

I have wired up a single LED, it was meant to be 3 but I ended up messing that up, I couldnt get them to work together just when I applied power directly to each LED so I removed two.

I wired it to a simple on off switch as well. which is not soldered to the wireing just yet as I do not know how far away the mimic board will be from the station building just yet so I only curled the wires through the switch terminals for now.

See the video below, the roof needs painting but that's not a hard job, Just to finish the station entrance steps now and it's done with some final touches with paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg372K8s03g
Old 28-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

You should never connect a LED directly across the supply. It should always have a series resistor to limit current to the LED.
Depending on power supply volts (and its current rating to a lesser matter) I recommend a 1000 Ohm (1K) minimum series resistor be used on supply volts of 9 to 15 volts DC for a single LED.

To wire two or more LEDs in series, you connect the Anode lead of one LED to the next LEDs Cathode lead. So from the positive supply wire a resistor is fitted of the correct ohm then other end of resistor connects to first LEDs Anode (longer) lead the first LED Cathode (shorter) lead connects to the next LED Anode (longer) lead and then its shorter lead - Cathode connects to either the next LED Anode or to the power supply negative wire.
Old 28-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
You should never connect a LED directly across the supply. It should always have a series resistor to limit current to the LED.
Depending on power supply volts (and its current rating to a lesser matter) I recommend a 1000 Ohm (1K) series resistor be used on supply volts of 9 to 15 volts DC.
I have a variable voltage supply, It's set to 3V and that, as much as it will ever be.

I know techniclly I should have a 12V supply and resistor, I was going to have to get the supply anyway and I thought this would kill two birds with one stone.
I may use a resistor anyway as It is a little bit bright and shines through the roof too.