Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 29-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #31
The Duke

The Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

I held the iron under and then I stroked the top of the joint with the iron. The solder formed a “raindrop” under the joint when I held it still. I stroked it under the joint then left it to dry. The solder seems to string out a little sometimes along the joint which I suppose can be an advantage.
Old 29-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #32
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I held the iron under and then I stroked the top of the joint with the iron. The solder formed a “raindrop” under the joint when I held it still. I stroked it under the joint then left it to dry. The solder seems to string out a little sometimes along the joint which I suppose can be an advantage.
If it formed a "raindrop" you are using too much solder.
Old 29-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
When doing electrical/electronic soldering you should not move the iron about, it is merely a heat source. The sequence should be hold iron steady on joint, count 1 - 2 - 3 to allow heat transfer from the tip to the two parts being soldered, add solder until it flows round the joint, remove solder, remove iron wait a few seconds for solder to freeze. Moving, stroking the joint does nothing to aid heat transfer or retention. The only time a soldering iron is moved is when using a heavy duty, high wattage iron on a seam in say a brass model and even then it is slowly moved to allow each part of the seam to reach the temperature at which solder will fuse to the metal. In order for any solder to fuse to the joint being soldered then the two parts of the joint need to reach a temperature at which the solder will melt on contact with the metals not the iron. If you watch a plumber soldering copper pipes together you will see him heat the joint with a gas torch, as he applies the solder he will move the flame away using the heat in the pipes to melt the solder not the flame of the torch. In that respect a soldering iron is no different to a torch it is merely a source of heat the only difference in technique is the iron is kept in contact with the joint until the soldering is complete.

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #34
The Duke

The Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks TWD and Richard, now it’s all making more sense . When I was having difficulty, the clamps of the helping hands were holding the wires too far from the joint ends and a gap between the wires kept opening when they flopped down a bit. It all started to work right when the clamps were closer together, the weight of the wires no longer separating to form a gap. I had spent most of the time trying to close the gap by lifting one of the wires with the iron. This time the wires stayed together and it soldered quickly. It’s quite satisfying soldering something.
Old 30-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #35
John squiggly

John squiggly is on a distinguished road

Can't see if anybody suggested this but I buy LED's with resistors already soldered in. They come with 20cm leads and are available at very reasonable prices form China via Ebay.
John squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hay Tricky in my day it was always 1-2-3-1
Old 30-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #37
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
Hay Tricky in my day it was always 1-2-3-1