Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Analogue

Old 16-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
rynd2it

rynd2it is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynd2it View Post
Thank you Flashbang - I believe you have identified my problem. I'll modify it as you suggest and report back.

Cheers

David
Hi FB, I studied this a bit more and realised that the reason I had it the way I did was to use the points at T5 & T6 to act as isolating switches for the fiddle yard roads. It seems that the only way I might get this to work is if I used a micro-switch on the point motor as I do for the frog polarity. Am I correct in this or is there a way to wire it to achieve what I want?

Thanks

David
rynd2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

If the sidings tracks beyond points 5 & 6 are dead end siding and no rail feeds are connected anywhere along those sidings rails, you can dispense with the IRJs for those directions into each siding. The electrofrog points will then act as self isolating points for the unset direction, much like Insulated frog points do. But do ensure there are no rail feeds or any possibility of them being added later on! Failure to ensure this will result in a full short circuit.

IMO and from best practice, I find it always easiest to fit IRJs to all electrofrog Vee rail ends and then take new rail feeds to the rails after the IRJs, these feeds are via simple On/Off toggle switches if isolation is required. Thereby providing fully manually switched isolation regardless of any point position.
Old 16-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
rynd2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
If the sidings tracks beyond points 5 & 6 are dead end siding and no rail feeds are connected anywhere along those sidings rails, you can dispense with the IRJs for those directions into each siding. The electrofrog points will then act as self isolating points for the unset direction, much like Insulated frog points do. But do ensure there are no rail feeds or any possibility of them being added later on! Failure to ensure this will result in a full short circuit.

IMO and from best practice, I find it always easiest to fit IRJs to all electrofrog Vee rail ends and then take new rail feeds to the rails after the IRJs, these feeds are via simple On/Off toggle switches if isolation is required. Thereby providing fully manually switched isolation regardless of any point position.
Thanks, that confirms what I thought. I had planned to leave the IRJs out and put double rail breaks in the sidings as they can actually be entered from either end with the opposite turnouts wired to T5 & T6 respectively as if in a cross-over.

Cheers

David
Old 16-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
Flashbang
Administrator

These are the three options - Basic requirements, IRJs and two feeds and fully isolated sidings...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minimum feeds.jpg (90.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IRJs and feeds-Basic.jpg (101.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Full IRJs and feeds.jpg (116.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 16-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Flashbang
Administrator

If any siding is accessed from the other end then IRJs MUST BE FITTED to all points and new rail feeds added after the IRJs.
Old 16-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
rynd2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
These are the three options - Basic requirements, IRJs and two feeds and fully isolated sidings...
That is a very comprehensive reply, I thank you. It clears it all up and makes it easy to decide on the method required.

Cheers

David