Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
guBulawayo

guBulawayo is on a distinguished road
Default Rhodesia Railways based Sn42

Hi All, so I thought I would start a thread even though I have very little to show as yet. Many years ago I started modelling the Rhodesia Railways in N Scale, built or part built a few locos, wagons and carriages and layout out some track on a 2.5x0.8m board in the garage -

Anyway after many years of not doing anything I decided to start again but in S Scale, using HO track and running gear to simulate the 3'6" gauge of the Rhodesia Railways.

The plan is to give a flavour of The Rhodesia Railways as opposed to a minute detail exact model of.

To date I have part built a KOA goods wagon, built a mock up of a carriage and am working on a DE3 diesel loco. After doing the carriage mock up, I drew up some parts to be 3D printed (my brother does this) and I am waiting for those to arrive - They need a bit of work to smooth out but I am hoping they will be less likely to flex like the 1mm styrene I used. I need to learn how to draw rounded shapes in 3D and get more of the carriage printed. I will then mount this to a cut down Lima DB coach.

Layout wise might be a bit longer, I have a very limited budget, so will only be able to get a few bits each month (hopefully I can find job lots of track and turnouts at toy fairs etc).

I was looking to use kadee #714 coupers but think I may go for #26 after suggestions from US modellers.

Few pics below,

Regards Wayne

IMG_20180310_210100 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_20180310_232009 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG-20180328-WA0003 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_20180327_210437 by Wayne, on Flickr

Last edited by guBulawayo; 01-04-2018 at 07:27 PM.
guBulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Thanks Wayne. What an interesting and different railway to model. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Fascinating to see that Wayne. Look forward to seeing more of your modelling in due course. R-
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
IanAlan

IanAlan is on a distinguished road

Hello Wayne, I was just wondering what inspired you to pick the Rhodesia Railway. Did you use to live there? It's always interesting to hear about where people's ideas come from. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos, Ian Alan
IanAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
guBulawayo

Thanks all,

IanAlan, I am from Bulawayo - My Late Grandfathers both worked for Rhodesia Railways at some stage in their lives.

Wayne
Old 23-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
guBulawayo

Hi all, not much discernible progress, busy trying to fit kadee couplers, acquired a few figures which are a bit small, but I have another lot on their way which I was sold as S Scale, so will see - Also made up a whole lot of vacuum pipes.

have also acquired a few bits of flexitrack and some polyurethane foam which I have fixed to a small board to practise scenery, etc.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1) by Wayne, on Flickr

Webp.net-resizeimage by Wayne, on Flickr

Last edited by guBulawayo; 23-04-2018 at 06:18 PM.