Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 30-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
CDRC

CDRC is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Building a garage layout

Hi all,
Moving home in a few weeks and had to dismantle my 10x7ft 00 and 009 layout in my garden shed. That's the bad news. The good news is that the house we are moving to is a new build and has an intregal garage 22x10 and it is all mine. . The issue I have and have been unable to find a definitive answer to is do I need permission for Change of Use from the Local Authority and/or do I need to adhere to any Building Regs. I would like to have wall boards put over the bare wall (more for aesthetic reasons than for insulation) but keep the floor the same. The only walls exposed to the outside is the rear entrance and the garage door. I am not allowed to remove the garage door due to local bylaws so I thought of putting up a stud wall to hide the doors metal interior and to provide a thermal break.
Any advice would be most welcome
CDRC.
CDRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Welcome to this Forum CDRC, i am not up to speed on the garage change of use, but people store all sorts of gear in garages and my closes 3 neighbors garages have never seen a car inside them. As for the leaving the floor i would do the floor rather than the wall if it had to be one or the other polystyrene sheet with Chipboard floor in top..
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

So long as the garage door(s) are in place and the garage is not converted into a habitable room, in that you can't live or sleep in it you don't need any permission.
I've been using my garage for years. Last thing that needs to be in a garage is my car!
I laid a cheap and quite large plastic tarpaulin (market stall purchase) over the concrete floor and then a large piece of ex lounge carpet ontop. It's been there for at least 12 years now.
Old 30-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is on a distinguished road
I have done as you propose and built stud walls in my garage ( which nowhere near as large as the space you have) to section it off into three parts, the front ( behind the main garage door) for wheelie bins and bikes etc; the rear as a workshop; and the new middle section as a railway room........I built doors in each stud wall so that thru passage could still be achieved if absolutely necessary and if anyone dared.........locks and bolts have been fitted to secure the railway room !,,,,,,,see some construction photos......good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5452507-6F71-4F8F-B4CF-8D4C424DFCAD.JPG (707.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg E419C7C7-7267-48E2-9B2B-82A486385B3E.JPG (676.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.JPG (529.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.JPG (574.9 KB, 66 views)
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #5
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it looks a great frame for your layout. 009 will be ideal for it as well! Should give you a nice run.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Looks like a nice comfortable room. Very important in the winter. John
Old 13-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Don't forget, if your garage door is up & over to allow for the top of the door pushing into the top of the garage head space so your stud wall must allow for this, that is if you are ever likely to need to open it........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Was something I was told my grandad either invented or had some input on inventing... Up and over garage doors. Mind you, we used to have one here and we just could not get the thing to go right. Turns out the framework was just slightly out. Prior to this my dad tried everything! I'd be holding the spring tight while he tightened the spring...
In the end, as the garage was rarely used as it was too short for most cars my dad had a normal door and windows instead. I used to have my layout in there with an 8X4 board. Unfortunately the layout had steel rails back then and they used to rust when the mists came in.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote