Model Railway Forum

Model Railway Forum (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Tools (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Lidl Specials (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12714)

chris_db4 12-10-2017 09:36 AM

Lidl Specials

May be of some interest to people that this sunday Lidl have tools for your workshop. Random things include

digital soldering iron
helping hands with magnifier
mini tool kit
magnetic tool rack and parts trays

as always you get what you pay for but some things tend to be good enough for the use they get.

Bazil 12-10-2017 09:40 AM

Digital soldering iron. What makes it "digital?"

RogerB 12-10-2017 09:56 AM

Looks like there is a limited amount of temperature selection. R-

Teedoubleudee 12-10-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_db4 (Post 140931)
May be of some interest to people that this sunday Lidl have tools for your workshop. Random things include

digital soldering iron
helping hands with magnifier
mini tool kit
magnetic tool rack and parts trays

as always you get what you pay for but some things tend to be good enough for the use they get.

The helpng hands tool is by far the most used on my bench. I really really could not do this hobby without it whether I'm soldering, building a kit or painting sonething. I removed the magnifier from mine as I much prefer my head magnifier. Should be number one on your list if you dont already own one IMHO.

Tinker 12-10-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee (Post 140936)
The helpng hands tool is by far the most used on my bench. I really really could not do this hobby without it whether I'm soldering, building a kit or painting sonething. I removed the magnifier from mine as I much prefer my head magnifier. Should be number one on your list if you dont already own one IMHO.

Its a must have, in the loft and the workshop, both have the mirror removed but i can get away with cheap 2.5 mag glasses....

Michael P 15-10-2017 08:18 PM

Bought helping hands with magnifier today - seems well made, got a bit of weight to it and bargain at 5.99.

ians 15-10-2017 09:26 PM

Bought some of each size tray - they contain a fairly strong (when new) magnet. I can see them being very useful.

I also got a 'helping hand' although I already have one, I thought a spare would be good and my original one doesn't have the light.

Less useful seems to be the 'magnetiser, de-magnetiser' I bought. I have tested on a pair of tweezers and it made no difference what-so-ever to the level of magnetism (it had none at the start of finish of trying to magnetise them). Ah well, at least I got some useful trays :)

RAFHAAA96 17-10-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazil (Post 140932)
Digital soldering iron. What makes it "digital?"

It has a liquid crystal screen to show temp as opposed to my analogue one which has a rotary knob with markings.
Rob

chris_db4 17-10-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ians (Post 141137)
Less useful seems to be the 'magnetiser, de-magnetiser' I bought. I have tested on a pair of tweezers and it made no difference what-so-ever to the level of magnetism (it had none at the start of finish of trying to magnetise them). Ah well, at least I got some useful trays :)

You did check to see if the tweezers were of a ferrous material that would take magnetism?
I have one at work and while it doesn't create a super strong magnet it does tend to make some difference

Footplate1947 17-10-2017 01:37 PM

Thank you Chriss for the heads up about the soldering iron. Shot out to my local Lidl to have look and got one. Picked up the helping hands tool as well as my one was a bit old and, well,, knackered to say the least.:D
I did not think I would say this about lidl tools because some of them in the past have not impressed me much but this Iron seems to be a good little tool which tested out well.
It is 48 watt iron and heated up very quickly, unlike my old iron did. You had to wait about 10 minutes for it. The temperature control works well and seems to be OK but of course not tested it with a thermometer. Did test soldering and it worked very well. The bits have an odd screw fit and not the normal push in or push on type that soldering irons normally have.
That aside. A wonderful value for money tool, long as it lasts well.
John
PS Best 18 spent for a long time.