Model Railway Forum

Model Railway Forum (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Location location location (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Loft layouts (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5761)

Tricky Dicky 27-07-2014 07:45 PM

Loft layouts

In the last few days I have been doing some re-wiring in our loft and it was baking! I could only last about 20mins at a time before pools of sweat sloshing about on the inside of my specs or on the boards I was kneeling forced me down for a cool off. So those of you who run layouts where you have no insulation beneath the tiles/slates have my complete admiration. How do you cope with these temps. and how your track work does not buckle all over the place?

Richard

Walkingthedog 27-07-2014 07:52 PM

When I was insulating our loft for my layout the weather was like this, it was unbearable, much improved when I'd finished though. Glad it's not up there any more.

wittershamroad 23-08-2014 07:35 PM

A loft layout I find I quite wish I had in my loft is "Brighton in the Attic". This web page has not been updated since 2002, so I have no idea whether this layout still exists or its owner is still alive, but the web page is still on the internet.

http://www.semgonline.com/members/nmillar01.html

What is interesting about this, is that it shows you how you can give a convincing representation of a real place by having the right trains! For Brighton Station he has only used a PECO Manyways Roof kit, and has represented the town with a PECO SK-25 "Old Industrial Town Centre" backscene.

spikelmoose 25-08-2014 05:52 PM

I like my loft / come man cave! My own private space where I can make a mess and not have the missus on my case within 10 minutes of her coming home ( I also hope she never looks under the bedroom drawers as they are full of on going projects as well).
I know where you are coming from with the heat. A loft layout does have limitations and temperature is the biggest one. Probably 15 days a year it is too hot to go up there and 15 days a year it is too cold.

Challenger3802 06-01-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spikelmoose (Post 46443)
I like my loft / come man cave! ...Probably 15 days a year it is too hot to go up there and 15 days a year it is too cold.

What's too cold?? It was -1C a week ago when I went up into my loft, soon warmed up with the lights on I ended up in my t-shirt due to being too hot.

The other extreme was during the summer when I left the loft hatch open to let the air temperature drop a few degrees first ;)

Ian.

wittershamroad 06-01-2015 02:02 PM

There is a chap on YouTube called "ay76" who has uploaded a long series of videos charting his progress building a loft layout from the very first stages. His loft does have insulation, which you can see in the videos. I asked him this question, and he says the loft is too hot in summer - work on the layout has to stop.

I had a temporary layout in the loft. I found in the summer, if you leave it till about 8 o'clock at night, then it has cooled off enough to allow you to go up there.

Yuzee 06-01-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Challenger3802 (Post 56698)
What's too cold?? It was -1C a week ago when I went up into my loft, soon warmed up with the lights on I ended up in my t-shirt due to being too hot.

The other extreme was during the summer when I left the loft hatch open to let the air temperature drop a few degrees first ;)

Ian.

hi Ian, I dont reccomend leaving the loft hatch open "Unguarded" as you can easily fall down the opening and hurt yourself. I fell from top to bottom last year whilst converting my loft and was very lucky not to seriously hurt myself.

wittershamroad 06-01-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuzee (Post 56718)
hi Ian, I dont reccomend leaving the loft hatch open "Unguarded" as you can easily fall down the opening and hurt yourself. I fell from top to bottom last year whilst converting my loft and was very lucky not to seriously hurt myself.

I would like to second that! I was coming down, but not concentrating. I missed the top rung and slid down and scrapped my leg. It has healed up, but I have still got a red mark on my leg to remind me of this escapade!

The decision to have the layout in the spare bedroom was the right one, I think...

eagle125 13-01-2015 01:12 PM

My loft experience !

If you`ve got no where else to go other than a loft ...these are my hints/ tips

Remember to preserve a working area , i nearly ran out of space

is your loft for storage and model railway mine is, my thinking cap was worn out !!!

if storage try and write a plan down where things are in boxes (daughters are like bulls in china shops when looking for something)

storage for model railway items ............ a place for everything and etc etc

be tidy ..........ie floor (kneeling on a screw is painful)

Safety (aka common sense)

my heater is a convector ......... getting an oiled filled one soon

i have a fan for the summer ,but luckily i have a small crawling section over my bathroom instead of a wall i have a curtain cos of access to CH tank
open in summer closed in winter

KIT............
Decided not to pay out for digital equipment to put in loft. ok i bought a couple more locos than i planned !!!!

my loft has a loft either side (not end house) open the hatch its coldish on the landing for a short while but it soon balances out

If your starting with a blank canvas thats better, i worked around my storage

maybe in lets say 10 or so years i can have a bedroom approx 11x8 all i have learned from my loft experience will go into that

another plug for my vid :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhINt1TdYfw
Cheers Tony

stevenfitch 17-01-2015 02:38 PM

My loft was paneled out without insulation behind it.... Its ok in the winter as can just put a heater on but i'm looking for a solution to cool it during the summer without having to go as far as air conditioning!

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/a...1&d=1419467026