Model Railway Forum

Model Railway Forum (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Track Layout & Design (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Year - New Layout (http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13192)

RogerB 11-01-2018 02:25 PM

New Year - New Layout

2 Attachment(s)
As it seems to be in vogue, and I have become bored with my 6' 6" x 4' roundy roundy layout and I haven't won the lottery I am dismantalling it in favour of something that I hope will be much more interesting to operate. This will be a 10' x 2' end to end layout as per the diagrams (with and without scenery) below. The layout will split into two 5' x 2' sections (not as yet ordered) as per the mark shown. Each part is on lockable castors and when not in use the two parts will sit side by side. When in use, alignment dowels and sprung toggle catches will keep everything lined up. Comments (of any hue) appreciated. R-

Walkingthedog 11-01-2018 02:30 PM

Good for you Roger, wish I was brave enough to do the same.......but maybe I am. Layout looks interesting, not too sure about the tree in the middle of the road though ;)

Shroomy 11-01-2018 02:42 PM

Good luck with your new project Roger you going to have a third rail on this one lol

RogerB 11-01-2018 03:14 PM

Thanks, both. The worst part is undoing the ball of string underneath the current layout. What a mess. I should make a better job of it this time around. R-

Mountain Goat 11-01-2018 03:34 PM

It looks a great plan. I find for me, that I didnt get on well with end to end. However I do enjoy shunting.
Your plan does add some interest to the design so it is a bit more then a simple one end to the other. It is not easy to make end to ends with operational interest. It is only by building it and trying it that one finds if it is a success or not, and if you dont try, you may never know!

Old shed 11-01-2018 03:56 PM

As someone who is new to model railways I don’t understand how your proposed layout would work. Me and my Grandson have roundy roundy as you call it and I have seen liner layouts at shows for display but don’t know how this works for a hobby layout. Once a train has fun from one end to the other what do you do then

RogerB 11-01-2018 04:03 PM

Run it back somewhere else. The fun is in driving from point A to point B, or C or D ..... etc. R-

Walkingthedog 11-01-2018 04:05 PM

At one or both ends you have an area (a fiddle yard) that trains disappear into through a tunnel for instance. Once in there they can be turned round or replaced and out they come again.

Must admit for youngsters, even an old one like me, a roundy roundy one is more fun.

platelayer 11-01-2018 04:58 PM

Hi Roger, i have a slightly different task to you. I need to get on and build a layout:D, my dilemma is "O" or "00". Just lately "0 gauge" has seemed more appealing to me. The thing is, i have more 00 than 0 gauge locos. maybe i should list them on here and sell them and buy more 0 gauge stuff:confused:

Silvernovice 11-01-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB (Post 146597)
. This will be a 10' x 2' end to end layout R-

and I thought my Mill Lane end to end was going to be shunting fun:)
Peter